It is currently Tue 26. Sep 2017, 03:48

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: Media
PostPosted: Mon 11. Apr 2016, 12:45 
True Indican
True Indican

Severus wrote:

It's a TV series called Taitokoulu ("skill school"). Apparently Jonsu has been teaching children the basics about riding a horse in five 5-6 minute episodes. Unfortunately the videos are tricky to watch, especially for foreigners because they're behind a paywall, language barrier and geoblocking. If I decide to subscribe the channel for a while in order to watch the episodes, I may write a summary of them, but I won't upload the videos anywhere.

Anyway, here's my translation of the description and episode titles. (The links refer to screencaps of each episode.)

Indica's singer Jonsu has been completely horse mad ever since she was a little girl. In Jonsu's riding lesson the "skill schoolkids" may become horse mad too.

Episode 1: Stall etiquette http://static.katsomo.fi/multimedia/vma ... 568366.jpg
Episode 2: The saddle and reins http://static.katsomo.fi/multimedia/vma ... 568704.jpg
Episode 3: Approaching a horse http://static.katsomo.fi/multimedia/vma ... 569063.jpg
Episode 4: Climbing on a horse http://static.katsomo.fi/multimedia/vma ... 569408.jpg
Episode 5: Reining http://static.katsomo.fi/multimedia/vma ... 569853.jpg

PostPosted: Tue 12. Apr 2016, 11:58 
Archivist
Archivist

Niko, thanks a lot!

was it an old show (Jonsu has red hair here??)?

"Dark art is not a devil thing, it's quite the opposite, it's a God thing. You truly find God on sadness, not on happiness. My darkest arts, my darkest thoughts are from heaven"
@ Nathalia Suellen (Lady Symphonia)

My youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Severus479

PostPosted: Tue 12. Apr 2016, 18:37 
True Indican
True Indican

I subscribed the channel and watched Jonsu's episodes. According to an old TV schedule, Jonsu's episodes were originally aired in October 2012, so they were probably filmed in summer 2012. The episodes contain mainly riding instructions, but here's a summary of what Jonsu said about her own experience with horses:

Jonsu became "horse mad" when she was seven years old and had a summer break from school. She was thinking about horses all the time and draw pictures of them. She had her first riding experience when she was four or five years old. Then she rode on a pony that was led by an instructor. When she was seven, riding became her hobby and she learned to control the horse herself. She says that experience with horses has taught her to respect animals and nature. It has also taught her to take a contact to an animal and understand animals' behaviour.

PostPosted: Sat 20. Aug 2016, 01:13 
Archivist
Archivist

I do not remember whether it has been posted...

http://www.metalorgie.com/interviews/92 ... nvier-2014

"Dark art is not a devil thing, it's quite the opposite, it's a God thing. You truly find God on sadness, not on happiness. My darkest arts, my darkest thoughts are from heaven"

PostPosted: Fri 2. Jun 2017, 11:12 
Archivist
Archivist

Please, translate this one:

http://www.menaiset.fi/artikkeli/ajanko ... ibisneksen

Great thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Wed 7. Jun 2017, 14:09 
True Indican
True Indican

It's a summary of an interview that's available only for subscribers.

Jonsu has given some interviews lately, and her first solo single was released today. The song is Valloita maailma and it's available on Spotify and Deezer.

I'll translate the Radio Suomipop interview first. It's 30 minutes long, so the translation will take some time. I'll check later if the other interviews contain any information that's not said there.

http://www.soundi.fi/jutut/ystavani-tot ... ava-jonsu/

http://www.is.fi/viihde/art-2000005243219.html

http://www.iltalehti.fi/viihdeuutiset/2 ... 7_vd.shtml

PostPosted: Thu 8. Jun 2017, 13:32 
Archivist
Archivist

ok, I'm waiting. two more https://www.radionova.fi/ohjelmat/radio ... a/a-145441
http://www.iltalehti.fi/musiikki/201706 ... 1_m0.shtml

PostPosted: Sun 11. Jun 2017, 11:05 
True Indican
True Indican

Here's my translation of the Radio Suomipop interview which was broadcast on the 6th of June 2017. I'll decide later what to do with the other interviews.

My guest in the Radio Suomipop studio is Jonsu. It feels that we met the last time a hundred years ago.
- Well, it's like a hundred years ago. Three years are about 10 % of my life.

In a way three years feel short, but on the other hand it was like a different era those days.
- It's true that music business has changed a lot during that time. But you're a bit wrong. You may not have seen me, but I've seen you. I've been having a gray topknot and have passed the studio about a thousand times.

And you didn't tell me anything? Why didn't you knock the window, have a coffee with me or anything?
- I've hailed you, but you haven't recognized me.

Why...
- I did a perfect vanish trick and transfiguration, so I think you didn't know it was me.

Why did you hide yourself?
- Well, I wanted to take distance to music, music business and my old life. I took a break from my earlier life and wanted to see what parts of it I miss and what I don't miss.

Thinking about the Indica era and what we've talked about it: you made music in Finland and abroad. Once you published a Finnish and English album at the same time. And at some point I realized to think ”Where is Jonsu? I've heard nothing about her.” In the music business no one knew where you were.
- When did you start to miss me?

I think I started to wonder this last year. I was thinking about the new artists, old artists and those who have made a comeback. Especially when I interviewed Petra from Tiktak I started to think: ”Jonsu from Indica! Where is she?”

- I'm here.

Then I realized that it's been a few years since your latest album was released, and after that nothing has been heard of you.
- So, I was away long enough since you've started to miss me.

Yes, I have.
- Well, when Indica temporarily quit in 2014 after releasing the album, I didn't have a clue if I'd ever make music again. And I consciously made the decision not to give any interviews and not to be in public until I knew whether I'd return or not.

So, has Indica quit for good?
- No, we've never decided to quit or stop making music together. Everyone has just had big things going on in their personal lives. It was difficult to find the time to make music together and everyone thought that this would be the time to see if life has anything else to offer.

What was the day when you made the decision? Were you all together or did you communicate by text messages or email and suggest: ”How about having a little break?”
- We were together. After the last gig we knew that we wouldn't be going to have more gigs for a while. But it wasn't dramatic because we hadn't said that we would quit. We've met each other every time our coffee break schedules have made it possible. So, we're still good friends. They've heard the new song and have been supportive. And it's not impossible that Indica would return some day.

I talked about the same issue with Petra and she said that Tiktak will never return. And we talked about how good friends they were then and how about now. How long have the members of Indica been friends?

- A very long time, it varies depending on the person. Heini is my oldest friend. I've known her since the third grade in the elementary school. By the way, Heini has been studying and in a week... no, it's already the day after tomorrow when I've been invited to her graduation party...

It's great that you remembered the date.
- ...and I've been friends with all of them a long time and there's no drama in the break. At some point our guitarist Jenny announced that she'd quit her music career, but the rest of us are still in contact and I think they hope that we'd make more music together some day.

Okay. So, what's going on in your life at the moment? You said that you wanted to rest and stop being in public and see if you'd miss the music career. And fortunately you did because you're releasing new music now. But what did you do during the break?
- I made the decision that was a surprise to all my friends. Out of the blue, I switched from notes to numbers. Before the last gig the girls laughed at me in the rehearsals when I was reading an economics textbook. They thought: ”Now she's flipped for good. The break is too hard for her.” So, I went to the Aalto university to study accounting and financing, which is what I've been doing for the past few years. And I got a job in the financing business. Believe it or not, even today I've woken up at six and had a long day using Excel and other software.

Did you have a plan B so that in case if you at some point stopped making music you'd have a so-called real job because people tend to say that being a musician isn't a real job.
- No, I didn't. I didn't make a plan B, although my father always told me: ”Remember that you need a plan B because no pop singer will live by the music for the next 60 years”.

Exactly.
- I said: ”Nonsense. When I don't have anything to do, then it's time to decide what to do.” And that's what I did. I knew that there will be a longer break in the music career and I had no idea what to do. I started to figure out what kinds of jobs I could do. I had never had a day job, so I started to browse the list. I got my first financing job in a way that my two friends were celebrating the New Year with me. They had always praised a certain financing company and I told them that I have a feeling that I'd like to work there some day, so if the company ever has an open job, they should send me a message. Then they did and I wrote the first job application in my life.

That is absurd! You've not had any day jobs and when you choose what to do, you choose financing. It's not the first job I'd think.
- I have to admit that I had to call my manager because I knew they wanted to interview my earlier employers. So, I called my manager Peter Kokljuschkin and said: ”When they call you, please tell them I'm systematic, careful, very accurate, incredibly fast and not at all bohemian” and he laughed for two minutes and said: ”Well, let's see.”

What did he say to them?
- I got the job, so I suppose he said: ”Yeah, yeah.”

So, no problem. But the financing industry has many kinds of jobs, so what do you actually do? What's your title?
- At them moment I have a traditional financing job, watching two monitors whole day and moving numbers from a location to another hoping they find their way to the right places at the end of the day. I also do a bit more creative things, for example in the beginning of the year I was in a responsible financing group at the Aalto university. It was an interesting job because I had the chance to interview people. I interviewed the biggest names in the industry, so in a way I got your job.

You became a reporter!
- Yeah. That was very interesting. I think it's good to jump to a completely different world. When you return, you'll see what things you love in the old world and what you don't.

Now I'm curious how you can combine financing and music. Of course, they may support each other. If you understand the numbers, you know how much to ask for a gig and you can't be...
- I'll send you the bill later.

”I know how this works.”
- Just kidding. In a way I don't think numbers and notes have such a big difference. Both are a way to describe the reality, to create some kind of logic, some kind of causal connection in the world. That's what they are about. If I compare playing the piano and typing the letters, it's not that different. In music you tend to have more feeling involved, but music can be played completely emotionlessly and numbers can be typed with huge passion.

What kind of feedback can you get in the financing job? When you're performing, you get it all the time. You get fan mail every week and in concerts you see from the audience how well you succeeded. How do you see it in financing? When you send zeros from a place to another will someone tell you that you did it well?
- Sometimes someone says: ”Thanks.” But I get more feedback if I send the numbers in the wrong direction. Then the feedback comes quickly. And I have to tell you that when I stopped touring I wanted to be alone. So, now I'm isolated inside the building made of glass and no stranger can get in there. I sit in the center of Helsinki on the sixth floor pondering the world. In a way that's very liberating and relaxing. If I want to, I can be silent and drink coffee whole day, although there are nice people and it's fun to talk with them. But I clearly needed a job that's not as social and not involved with an audience.

How often do people recognize you on the streets now? At least we didn't know you, but you had wrapped yourself in a way we couldn't recognize you because you didn't have the red hair.
- Now I'm recognized a bit more often, but when we decided to start the break I made a radical solution by coloring my hair gray as a highway, bought a suit-dress and made a topknot. Then I looked in the mirror wondering ”Who is she? I don't know her, but let's see what she's like.” Think about the moment when you get rid of your old self: your image, your identity, your ideology and start to find out what's under that, if anything.

Unbelievable!
- It's wonderful, I recommend trying it. Let's find you a completely different career and say goodbye to the old one. And after three years you'll make a comeback.

It sounds risky. It needs courage to jump into darkness. Not just switching your job to another similar job or anything that's familiar to you, but you jumped into the world you didn't know for sure if you'd understand and learn it.
- That's true and in the beginning it was difficult because I felt like an idiot who doesn't understand anything. I thought that I was way too slow and would never learn it. I felt that there was no sense that I'd trained my creative side for 25 years and then jumped into a completely logical business that requires a lot of speed, accuracy and other things I haven't practiced. But slowly I started to get used to it and realized that I was learning and improving, I got the feeling that you can do pretty much anything in your life. But I have to tell you that I couldn't sleep a lot last night. I was tired because I hadn't slept a lot in the past few nights, but I haven't worked as an artist for a long time, for three years. Fortunately I knew it was going to be you because you're so familiar to me. But this was my first radio interview (after the break) and I wondered what I'm supposed to say because I've got used to talking anything I want during the coffee break. In a way this feels like starting from scratch as an artist. And that's what it is because this is a solo career now.

True. Valloita Maailma (”conquer the world”) is the name of your song. At what point did you realize that you still love music and have to write more music?
- It was a very memorable situation for me. I spent about a year working in the investment company while studying the economics. In addition to the work, I spent four hours typing numbers at school, so my days were 12 hours long. I was driving on a highway and heard What a Wonderful World by Armstrong on the radio. I started to cry. I was hysteric. I was driving and thought that I can't do this anymore. Music is more than a habit for me. It's something I have to keep in my life forever, at least I think so. I had the need to write music. I realized that if I continued living without music, I'd end up in the madhouse or at least get very depressed. So, it wasn't just a hobby I quit. I've tried to understand life and the world through music ever since I was four, so it would be impossible to get rid of that now. Then I didn't plan to start a solo career. I just needed to write music and go to the studio. And my mind calmed down quickly: “This is right for me”. So, I kept writing songs without any plans. Then Mikko from Sony called me and told me: “I've heard one of your new songs through my friend's friend and I like it very much. Could we meet?” Then he asked if it would be the time for a solo career. I considered it for a while and thought that it was a great idea. I missed making music and this was a good time to do it.

What is the song about? When I think about the title Valloita Maailma and the fact that you're working on the sixth floor, I imagine you looking down thinking you've conquered the world.
- Definitely not. The name Valloita Maailma is... well, maybe it's not ironic, but the song tells about the status of the world at the moment. I got the idea to write this song when I made a mistake and read the news for the first thing in the morning. I felt that all titles were about people who made the most noise. It didn't matter what kinds of ideas they had, everyone was just raging about something. It felt that everything in the world is wrong and negative. I thought that this era must be difficult for shy and silent people. Many silent geniuses may be unheard because of all that noise. At the bottom corner there was a small story about a new innovation, a positive story. So, I wanted to write an ode for shy and silent people and those who have got tired to their everyday life. In a way this seems to be a hard era. As if the whole world was breaking around you and you'd still have to stand up, continue and do your duties. I felt that I needed power, bravery and daring. After the three years I just had adapted to the financing industry and started to feel home there. I felt I'd survive there, so it was time to jump into the next hole in the ice which was the solo career. I wrote that song partly for myself.

It's true that in a couple of years many things have changed, not just the music industry, but today social media plays such a big role in artist's career that it seems that you have to be visible and participate all kinds of things. Are you afraid that you can't work anymore like you used to? And do you think that people expect you to be visible all the time.
- I've thought about that. Sony kept me a few-hour long “artist academy” lecture about social media, which was good for me because I hadn't been much on social media during the break. And it was good to learn about Snapchat, Instagram... well, I already knew Instagram, but I haven't posted anything on Snapchat so far, maybe today. At the beginning it felt unpleasant. “What on earth am I supposed to write on social media?” I think that my private life is my own business, but I slowly started to find out what things in my life I want to share in public and what not. Once you've made yourself clear where the limit is, you can talk about your thoughts and several things in your private life. You can tell how you see the world and share your journey without telling about your relationship or, say, laundering. Well, laundering is a pretty neutral topic, so maybe I could talk about that.

“So, let's hear what you have to say about laundering.” At least that would be different interview.
- I can tell you. I have a lot of laundry to wash at the moment.

“Do you have to do all the housework by yourself? Oh my God!”
- In fact, you know what?

What?
- Once I thought I got the best idea ever. I had a very busy month. I had way too much work. One of my friends was searching for a job at that moment and I suggested: “How about dividing my salary and all my work between us?” And we did. It was a very funny month. It was a win-win situation. Of course there are many things you have to do yourself, but there are plenty of housework to share, especially if some of your friends don't have a job. So, I thought it was a good idea.

Dividing the works? That's a good idea indeed. I have to suggest it to my friends. “You'd let me be a radio host?” “No, I wouldn't.”
- “Your job is to do my laundry.”

Exactly. “You can do my housework. Isn't it more interesting?”
- Yes, it is. Give me half or your salary and I'll do your laundry.

How would I explain that to my wife?
- Oh, you have a wife.

She'd say: “Kimmo, you're supposed to do your share of the housework. Why are you giving half of your salary for someone else to do it for you?”
- True.

Are you afraid to start a solo career after being in a band? They have been your safety net. You know that even if you were the only singer, they supported you on stage. Now you don't have as much support when you're performing as a solo artist.
- At first I had the feeling that I'm alone, “Oh no, what will I do?” But I realized that I won't do anything in my life alone. For example now we're here together and there are many people listening to us. So, everything I do at the moment is teamwork. My task (as a musician) is to make sure the team is trustworthy and small enough. I don't know... I don't feel lonely, at least not anymore, maybe in the beginning. But no one is alone in this world. Sometimes you just think you are.

Yeah. Sometimes you misjudge things.
- Yep... Well, you can continue.

Thinking about Indica, you had such a long career and maybe you will return as a band as you said. What are the most memorable things when you remember the gigs and the great feelings you had?
- Well, I think it's the band members, fans and other people I miss the most. When I jumped into a completely different world I didn't realize how many people vanished from my social life. As a musician I used to see you and other people related to music. So, my whole social circle was replaced. That was the main thing I started to miss. So, about Indica I mainly miss people. And in touring every day was different, you never knew where you'd end up. I think I'm a bohemian and spontaneous person, so sometimes the alarm clock that always wakes me up at six o'clock makes me thing: “Not again!” We'll see. If you've got used to living freely, I don't know if you ever get used to waking up every day at the same minute.

True. Will you get used to the thought that during the Indica era you made a couple of big hits. Like I told you earlier that when I played Ikuinen Virta as a DJ, it used to be the song that always made the people on the dance floor sing together. So, after you've made such a big hit, will you think now: “I wish I'd manage to write another song that has the same effect.” Do you hope that you could get as big a success in the solo career? Or do you just want to make good music for people to listen and have gigs?
- I have to say that I've changed my opinion in terms of goals and planning during the past few years. I used to spend a lot of time planning my goal and where would I go next. Then I suddenly realized that the universe couldn't care less about my plans and nothing goes as I planned. So, I'd always be upset that the things went differently as I thought and my life would be just chasing the dreams. In my solo career, I haven't dreamed that much. I had made many songs before Valloita Maailma, but when it was finished I had a strong intuition that this song belongs to this era, this moment, this place. I wanted to release it. And I've no idea what would happen next. Time will tell. I haven't thought it more. I was asked: “When are you going to have gigs?” and I said: “I've no idea, time will tell”.

So, time will tell how you “conquer the world”.
- At the moment I have an organized and strict rhythm in my everyday life, but I haven't planned my solo career at all.

Have the people at your work been prepared that this single could lead to a huge success, more songs and a tour? Anyone can count that waking up at six won't work anymore then.
- I've talked to them about my autumn. My ideal rhythm at the moment would be to type numbers in Excel half of the week... by the way I still have one year of my studies left too... and dedicate the other half of the week to music. And I got a verbal approval. So, it's okay for them after September. I'll have a vacation in September. Now I'm working there five days a week and I agree that days like this are very long. I wouldn't be able to work at this tempo for long. But I could easily think that I could do both works in a good balance for the rest of my life.

I wonder how good a balance that is. When do you have free time? If you have this and this and the gigs, they fill your whole calendar. Or did I miss the part you have free time?
- Well, this is my free time, sitting here blabbering with you. And I have to tell you that I've been able to live such a hectic life because of my family and loved ones and a good team at work. I promised to say thanks to Hanna and Heidi at the office because at the moment I can't have a two-hour break at work. The schedules are so strict. So, I had to delegate my work to the other two people in the team. They've been very flexible during this week, so let's see how long they remain that flexible.

So, it depends on the flexibility of your colleagues how long we can talk here!
- This is possible because of other people's effort.

It's true that you need loved ones, their assistance makes your way of living possible.
- Yeah. And in September there would have to be a really good offer in order to make me do any kind of work. I probably won't have anything in my calendar in September.

Let's hope that it stays like that. So, what are you doing in summer if the vacation is only in September?
- In fact, this is the second summer in my life I will spend completely at work. I don't have a single day off.

That sounds very bad.
- It's okay since this is only my second summer at work. Of course festivals and touring can be classified as work, but that's easier because usually there are gigs only at weekends. I've always had free weekdays in summer. This summer I won't. So, I'm working above the center of Helsinki and do some promotion of my music, so that's how the summer goes.

That sounds...
- I tend to say to my friends that if they want to meet me they have to come for a lunch next to my workplace. That's where my social life is now.

This sounds that since you are on the sixth floor with a view to all directions...
- You can't see anything but walls there actually. It just sounds fancier...

True. Even if you have a window there is a better solution outside. You could have a roof terrace with a WiFi connection, so you could type zeros while sunbathing.
- I'll order that for the next summer. So, a roof terrace, a WiFi connection and...

But the last question. You're releasing this song now. What kind of a solo career would you like to have? What kind of a career do you dream of? You've achieved so much with your band already. You even conquered the world a bit. So, how big dreams do you have for the music career?
- Oh my God, what a question.

You can be honest.
- I'd say... this sounds strange, but I don't have big dreams. I think I'll share a part of my journey with people for a few years and see what people think about it. I'm with them for a while and then I'll disappear again. But in order not to scare the record label, I'll say that I'm not going to vanish now. My plan isn't to publish one single and then disappear. So, my intention is to have a longer career. We'll see. I don't know. What are YOUR dreams? Tell me! You can't answer such a question. I don't have dreams. The universe gives me what it gives.

Jonsu the reporter has a good attitude. “Tell me! Tell me!” Well, I have many dreams, such as an own house... not really.
- I think the bad thing about dreaming is that if you've, for example, dreamed about some holiday trip then you'll spend the trip wondering: “Where is the feeling I dreamed to have here? Where are all the imagined things?” In my opinion, it's better not to have such dreams. Just keep your eyes open and see what you get.

True. And you should remember to have a vacation once in a while.
- I will, in September.

That's a deal. It was great to have you here.
- Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon 12. Jun 2017, 02:05 
Elder Indican
Elder Indican

Thanks for the translation Niko.

Does anybody happen to have a picture of Jonsu with grey hair, as she mentioned?

PostPosted: Mon 19. Jun 2017, 08:47 
Archivist
Archivist

there will be an interview with Jonsu in Magna Femina magazine issue 2.

https://www.magna-femina-webzine.com/shop/

PostPosted: Sat 24. Jun 2017, 09:37 
True Indican
True Indican

Here's my translation of the Soundi article by Aki Nuopponen that was published on the 5th of June 2017:

Jonsu is back! In the interview the redheaded singer who moved from Indica to financing business and then to a solo career.

It's been three years since Indica released new music. Then Indica published two albums in a short period, or in fact one album in two languages.

After releasing Shine and Akvaario in January 2014 Indica had a few gigs, but not much has been heard of the band or its members after that.

Soon that will change: on Wednesday the 7th of June 2017 Indica's singer Jonsu will release her first solo single Valloita Maailma.

Jonsu, who is in a good mood, tells Soundi that during the three years before releasing the song she has lived a completely different life taking intentionally distance to music and even songwriting.

”The past three years have definitely been the weirdest years of my life so far”, Jonsu begins.

”When Indica's last gig was over, I decided to start as different a life as possible and have a total break from anything related to music. I switched from notes to numbers and jumped from a bohemian and unscheduled life of a musician to very strictly scheduled financing business.”

”I had a kind of a break from music. I wanted to experiment whether music really was important to me or just a thing I'd always done and got used to. Music had influenced my life ever since I was four years old, and I had the need to see what life is like without music.”

”Although I had already started to feel home in the world of numbers and I enjoyed there I noticed that I missed music so much that I'd probably become depressed or ended up in the madhouse without it”, Jonsu admits.

People may think that Jonsu was mainly responsible for Indica's songs. Therefore they may wonder why Jonsu is going to the solo career instead of continuing to make music with Indica.

”Although I was responsible for Indica's music and lyrics, the band members affected a lot to Indica's sound. All of us had our strengths, weaknesses, favorites and unfavorites, and those opinions affected to the arrangements and production”, Jonsu tells.

”We were also equal while choosing the songs. It was a good thing. At some point I'd chosen only slow songs for an album. We encouraged and pushed each other to the certain direction and it was a good direction for Indica, but my solo material is going to be quite different.”

At the time this interview was made, only few people had heard even a second of Jonsu's solo music. Almost all impressions about her creativity is based on Indica's music. However, the solo career is meant to be completely different.

”When I started to write this forthcoming album, I only had one rule. It wouldn't be right, sensible or even interesting to make more Indica songs with my own name. I wanted to see what kind of music I'd write myself. I recreated myself in the past few years and the same continues in my music”, Jonsu tells.

”I started to wander in the swamp of endless choices. First I took a step away from rock music, then from folk and big melancholic orchestra parts. I kept the violins, guitars and occasional wind instruments, and added some electronic elements.”
”Only a few people have heard my new song yet. One of my friends said it has an eternal party and a pinch of gypsy punk. I suppose I let the others to describe my music style”, Jonsu laughs.

Also, the mystic-romantic lyrics of Indica are left behind in the solo career.

”In the lyrics I moved from the forest to the city. Instead of windy places (Tuuliset Tienoot) and maids behind the mountains (Vuorien Taa) this time the lyrics are about searching for the Star of Africa and conquering the world.”

”Valloita Maailma is a description of one morning. I woke up, read the news and felt that all headers were about people who made the loudest noise. Regardless about the message. I thought that in this era many wonderful things and silent geniuses are left in the shadow.”

Jonsu admits that one of the most important things in the solo career is to stop overdetermining and overthinking her own work. Now she works by instinct and will check later what kind of material was born.

”A few years ago I stopped planning the future when I noticed that it takes a huge amount of time and energy. Life doesn't care about my plans and desperate attempts to control everything.”

”The solo career started in a way that I started to miss music and needed to write songs. I went to studio. Mikko from Sony had heard one of the songs through some of his friends, called me and asked me if we could meet and if I would like to start a solo career. I thought about it and considered it was a great idea.”

”Before making Valloita Maailma I had written many songs, but when that song was ready I had a strong feeling that it belongs to this moment, time and place. This is how I make almost every decision now. When I have to decide something, I wonder whether I want to say yes or no and then I try to say the right word.”

During Jonsu's break from music, many kinds of new music programs, such as Vain Elämää (The Best Singers), have become successful.

Jonsu won't completely rule out participating such programs, but she's not going to give up her privacy. So she wouldn't reveal a lot about her personal life in the program.

”Of course I know the Vain Elämää format and I've seen some clips, but I haven't followed it actively. I avoided pretty much anything related to music during my break.”

”Covering others' songs is usually fun, but at least so far I've had a clear line about revealing my private life. As a musician you have to be in public and telling about your private life helps.”

”To me, the point is to share a period of my life with the others. Maybe someone in a similar situation will get energy or an idea from my music.”

Although Jonsu is releasing her first solo single, Indica started their career over ten years ago. Therefore Jonsu already has a 13-year experience as a recording artist.

”One of the most important lessons (from Indica) is that you shouldn't listen to too many people while making a decision. Everyone has good advices, but no one has a crystal ball.”

”Earlier I listened to the others' opinions a lot and suddenly I started to feel that I wasn't living my own life anymore, but was implementing others' visions. In the end I had the feeling that I couldn't find any solution that would please everyone involved in the project.”

Jonsu tells that (in the solo career) she immediately wanted to forget the illusions about creating music that would please everyone and bring her some kind of respect. In music, she only wants to be in touch with a small and reliable team.

”I've heard a thousand times people saying that some artist is going to get a breakthrough, but very few of them have actually succeeded. Magazines tell the stories of the people who left everything, lived under a bridge, believed only in music and got a breakthrough. No one talks about the artists who stay under a bridge”, Jonsu says.

”So, you should try your best, but I don't think I would pledge my house for the music career because there are many things related to the success that can't be predicted. At the moment I feel that I'm in a position that suits me. Starting from the autumn I will dedicate half of the week to numbers and half to notes.”

I checked the other interviews too. On the 7th of June 2017 Iltasanomat wrote something interesting in the end of the article.

Jonsu's first solo single has been made now and the second single has been chosen. However, its release date is still a secret.
- I have quite many songs ready. I think the album will be released this year.

Jonsu won't be seen on stage for a while.
- The tour will probably start about the time the album is released.

The rest don't have anything important to add:
http://www.iltalehti.fi/viihdeuutiset/2 ... 7_vd.shtml
http://www.iltalehti.fi/musiikki/201706 ... 1_m0.shtml
http://www.menaiset.fi/artikkeli/ajanko ... ibisneksen
https://www.radionova.fi/ohjelmat/radio ... a/a-145441
https://www.katsomo.fi/#!/jakso/3300100 ... -6-klo-625 (Jonsu's part begins at 1:46:00)

PostPosted: Tue 22. Aug 2017, 11:56 
Archivist
Archivist

thanks again.

recent interview here in Finnish

https://www.mixcloud.com/katotvfin/viihteellä-1782017-vieraana-jonsu-yllätyspuhelu-jethro-rostedtille-ja-tubecon-haastatteluja/
copy this to address bar, it's not working as a direct link

PostPosted: Fri 25. Aug 2017, 19:08 
True Indican
True Indican

Thank you for the link. If someone wants to download the audio, just add the url to http://www.mixcloud-downloader.com/. Jonsu's part begins at 1:08:50.

So, here's my translation of the Lähiradio interview with Jonsu on the 17th of August 2017. In the text, T means Toni Rönnberg and R means Robert Holmström.

T: Now we've got a guest to the studio: Jonsu, who is probably known best from Indica. But now you started a solo career and are here today. Welcome!
- Thank you. It's incredibly wonderful to be here today. I don't know what words will come out of my mouth because I feel that I've repressed to the level of a 15-year-old. Here's such a wonderful atmosphere and I spent my youth in Kallio, Helsinki.

T: You're from Kallio?
- I'm not from Kallio, but when you played Maailma On Sun by Tehosekoitin it led me to the Kallio feeling because I grew up with Tehosekoitin. And as a teenager I had a boyfriend who lived in Kallio. And I will soon perform Valloita Maailma... I mean Maailma On Sun... these song names are too similar... in a wedding party. So, we've covered my whole life in a few minutes.

T: When you visited Lähiradio's kitchen, you liked it, unlike the most of our guests. We barely dare to let anyone go there because it's so messy, isn't it Robert? R: I have to say that Jonsu arrived here with a great attitude.
- This is great. I've always liked messy places. I've tried to get rid of that habit my whole life, but when I came here and saw stuff all over the place I thought: ”Wonderful, I'm home!”

T: That's brilliant, Jonsu. So, now you're in a solo career after the years in Indica. In 2014, Indica started an indefinite hiatus. How did you end up in a solo career? You've been in a different work for a few years, but now music is back in your life, although it must have somehow been in your life all the time.
- No it wasn't. I kept a total break from music for one or two years in order to see if I started to miss music. Then I felt that it was time to return working with notes. I met my A&R from Sony with whom I had been working in Indica. He suggested the solo career and I thought ”it's now or never”. In Indica we had been working together for ten years and Indica was always the top priority. It was above everything. Then everyone had the feeling that it would be nice to try something else and that led to the indefinite hiatus.

T: What has it felt like being a solo artist? Your first song Valloita Maailma was released in June 2017. How do you feel now?
- Well, it has pros and cons. Of course, in the beginning I felt lonely because I had got used to having someone with me, for example, in interviews. Not that I'd be here alone now. So, the solo career has more freedom, but also more decision making than in a group of five people.

R: What kind of feedback have you got from the first song?
- Very positive. At least that's what people tell me. No one says to me face to face: ”it's total crap”.

R: Unlike online.
- I've been following mainly my own social media accounts where people are nice and supportive. But the radio channels have played the song too, so I'm happy to release the next single soon.

T: It's true that Valloita Maailma has been played a lot on radio. On our channel alone it's been played over 100 times already. It must feel good that the radio channels have received your solo material so well.
- It's great because three years out of publicity is a long time in the music business today. So, it would have been possible that people had been asking: ”Jonsu who? We don't want to interview you on radio.” So, it's nice that people still remember me.

T: What kinds of plans do you have in your solo career? You said that you're releasing a new single, but have you planned it further? Will you release an album? The music business has changed in a way that some artists don't publish albums anymore.
- The album is coming, but I don't know the exact date. It'll be released probably next spring. Artists used to release two or three singles before an album, but now it's closer to four or five. I won't be in Finland in September, I'm on a vacation. The next song will be released in the beginning of October.

T: We will play your first single, Valloita Maailma, next. Could you tell us how the song was born?
- This song is about the state of the world at the moment. I was reading a newspaper and watching outside through the window. Then had a walk outside and felt that the world is a hard place in a way that if you want to be heard you have to yell. Everyone is yelling their message and agenda. So, I don't think that ”work diligently and wait, you will be found” works anymore.

T: And that led to Valloita Maailma. I heard that you had listened to What a Wonderful World. Did it give inspiration to this song?
- I was listening to ”Wonderful World” on the radio when I was driving and the song made me miss music. I realized that you have to do what you love to do in your life. Otherwise you'd get depressed and have a miserable life. I don't know if it has a direct link to this song. It just made me love music again.

T: So, you missed music while working elsewhere?
- Yeah. I had a longer break from music and took distance to it, but I realized that my love to music is so deep in me that it will never go away. I'm almost 100 % sure that I will never stop making music. I don't know in what format, where and what kind of music, but music will always stay in my life.

T: That's great. Let's listen to Jonsu's first solo single now and then continue talking about, for example, the years in Indica.

- - -

R: That was Valloita Maailma by Jonsu. The song may have got inspiration from Donald Trump, that's how I interpret it.
- Maybe. That's a good interpretation.

R: But, like Toni just said, let's talk about your years in Indica, although you started making music a lot before Indica already.
- Yeah. I think I started to play the kantele when I was two and the violin when I was four.

R: Okay, that's pretty early. Can you still play the kantele?
- Last time I tried, it sounded like rattling, but of course I should have tuned it first. I can play the violin, but now it's been in a closet for the past two months.

R: Your mother... at least according to Wikipedia where I did some background checking...
- What did my mother do according to Wikipedia?

R: She's a music teacher.
- Yes, she was a teacher in a music kindergarten and I fooled around in the backroom.

R: And your father is a particle physicist. I remember that.
- Yeah, particle something.

R: Not a nuclear physicist though, but still.
- Something like that.

T: But how was Indica born and what was the year?
- I have to go back to the song Maailma On Sun again. The bassist Heini and I were huge fans of Tehosekoitin. We were probably 13 years old. We decided to found a band because we thought it was the coolest thing in the world. So, we founded our first bands then. I think we were about 16 years old when Indica was born. We found the group that had enough motivation and we had a good chemistry. I wonder what the year was. Oh my God... if we were 18 then, I just have to count backwards... See how good I'm at math?

R: I wonder why Jonsu switched back to music from financing.
- *laughs* This is the reason. I can't even count years. But maybe I should send a job application here. This is the best place in the world. It's so hot in here although it's August already.

R: It's hot in here the whole year. T: Every night. R: In fact, today it's exceptionally cool in here.
- Is it? This is a hot place.

T: But how about Ikuinen Virta which was released in 2004? It was Indica's biggest hit and you made several other popular songs as well. You were pretty popular then, weren't you?
- I suppose. It depends on whom you compare, but it was big compared to what we thought when we made our first album. I think our goal was to sell 200 copies. In a way, music business is great, but it's also not so great because you never know... when you work, you'll learn in five years whether it was profitable... whether your hourly wage was 0.001 euros or, say, 2 euros.

R: I calculated that in my band's recent gig for a paying audience the hourly wage was 75 cents including setting up the equipment.
- I think the funniest thing is that when I rarely read discussion boards, there are comments like: ”she probably started to make music in order to get a lot of money” or ”she started the solo career only for money”. And I'm like ”yeah, right”. All musicians reading comments like that will laugh.

R: Those people should try it themselves.
- Yes, they should.

T: So, we have Jonsu as our guest in the studio. Speaking again about Indica, what do you think now about the years when you had a lot of gigs and the albums sold well? What kinds of memories do you have from that era?
- Awesome memories. We grew up together. For ten years my whole life... they were the people I saw all the time and that was the only job I had in those ten years, so it determined what kind of a person I am. And I have no hard feelings. It was wonderful time. And in way as an adult I miss the carelessness. You could just jump into the tour bus and someone else took care of where the bus went and someone else made sure you were on stage at the right time. It was nice and in a good way careless life.

T: And when you are now making music alone, you've said that you don't want to make more Indica songs, but your own style.
- Yeah. It was the only rule I had in mind. I could have made anything but Indica because that wouldn't make any sense.

R: And the time is right, when listening to your first single, a solo career suits this era and will help you succeed.
- Good to hear because I felt the same. That's why the song was published. I think I had made 10 to 15 songs in a studio already, but when I made this song, I felt that it suits this moment, it's such a good picture of the period. I was like ”now I know which one is my first single”.

R: Will the next single suit perfectly the trends in autumn?
- Yes. I have a particular mood that I want give to the listeners in autumn. It will... well, I can't reveal it yet.

R: Give at least some glues?
- Well, the song has a small amount of nostalgia and longing for the careless time when I could jump into the tour bus and forget everything else. Everyone should once a day, or at least once a week forget all worries.

R: Speaking of tour buses, what is your autumn like in terms of gigs? When your vacation is over, are you going to start a tour?
- In fact, believe it or not, Indica's next gig... we will be in a TV program, but I'm not allowed to reveal more about it yet. We will only perform one song, but it'll be fun. We'll have rehearsals next Sunday. But there will be no other Indica gigs at the moment. But the solo gigs will probably start next year because I've released only one song so far and don't want to play Indica songs in solo gigs, so the gigs would be rather short. Of course I could play my new songs no one has heard yet, but I want to release at least a few singles before having a tour.

R: I was going to ask if you'd play Indica songs, but I suppose they wouldn't match seamlessly with the new songs.
- It would be a boring solution. I'll let the songs wait for Indica's possible comeback.

T: Petra from Tiktak visited us recently. She's been in a solo career for ten years and said that only now she could perform a few Tiktak songs in a gig. She also said that she wanted to focus on her own songs first. Maybe you could do the same in ten years.
- Yeah. I naturally like Indica's music and people a lot, but I think it would be wrong if I went to play those songs alone. I would wonder ”Why aren't the other girls here? Why am I alone?” I'd miss the group that belongs to Indica's music.

T: By the way, have you, Jonsu, competed in a word explanation game before?
- I've played Alias quite often and if I say that I'm usually rather good at it, I'll probably suck this time.

T: We'll see because it'll soon be time for a duel. Robert and Jonsu will compete about which one is better as explaining words. I'll tell you more after the break.

- - -

T: Now it's an exciting moment because in a duel the competitors are Jonsu and our Robert. So, this is a word explanation game, like Alias. Both have 1.5 minutes to explain these words without saying the word itself. In the end we'll count who have more points. So, when Jonsu explains, Robert gets one point for every word he guesses. Isn't it this way? R: That's how it goes. T: We've had it both ways. R: We just have to make a gentleman's and lady's agreement that we'll try our best.
- I was just thinking that there is a conflict of interest.

R: I know. I've thought and spoken about it earlier, but we just have to trust each other. So, we'll try our best.
- So, I'll do my best, but the guesser gets the points.

T: Yes. Here's an envelope for Jonsu. It contains the words. R: It's a bit illogical, the explainer should get the points. T: Which way do you want to play it? We've done it both ways. R: Jonsu can decide, will the guesser or explainer get the points?
- Are you better as a guesser or explainer?

R: I'm going to win in both cases.
- So, you're good at both. Okay, let's give the points to the guesser.

T: So, the guesser gets the points. Are you ready, Jonsu? 1.5 minutes starts...
- I'm ready.

J: Okay. A place where you go a bit before you turn 18...
R: A bar?
J: … in order to get a license...
R: A driving school.
J: Exactly. An item in which you lie in summer. You can do that for free and it can be placed between two trees.
R: A hammock.
J: Yes. You're too good. A festival in Turku.
R: Ruisrock.
J: Yes. On a computer, you keep your hands on...
R: A keyboard.
J: Yeah. You're agonizingly good. How about when you go to a place where you drink wine, you're sitting on...
R: A bar stool.
J: You know these words! Okay, this is an animal that was mentioned earlier in this broadcast...
R: A penguin.
J: Yeah. I've no chance. You put records on this and voice comes out of it. It's an old format, not a cassette, but...
R: A CD.
J: Older.
R: A vinyl.
J: But what's the item that makes them roll?
R: An LP player? A record player?
J: Say only the latter word.
R: Player.
J: And in the beginning?
R: LP? Record? Vinyl?
J: Put the words together.
R: A vinyl record?
J: No!
R: A vinyl player.
J: Yes.
R: Goddammit, that went badly.

T: Hey, that's a swear word. R: No it isn't. T: So, ...4, 5, 6, 7 points goes to... R: Me.
- Robert gets them.

T: Are you, Robert, ready to explain words to Jonsu? R: Once you give me the envelope.
- I'm already a bit depressed.

T: Here's the envelope. It has different words. R: Good. I was afraid that Jonsu read the words that were coming next. T: We were prepared for that. Time starts now.

R: A music program where they sing each others' songs...
J: Bumtsibum (The Lyrics Board).
R: ...and cry.
J: Vain Elämää (The Best Singers)!
R: The stuff you put in your hair in order to make them curly.
J: Styling foam?
R: No.
J: Hairspray?
R: No. For a longer period.
J: A permanent.
R: Yes. When you make the bed, the last you put...
J: A sheet. No, a counterpane!
R: Yes.
J: You see how often I make the bed.
R: A rent-a-cop means...
J: A guard? A watchman?
R: The official word.
J: A guard, no.
R: The opposite of unsafety.
J: Security. A security guard? A security officer.
R: Yes. A ski jumper who is fond of booze.
J: Matti Nykänen! Sorry.
R: Cheek and Elastinen.
J: Rappers?
R: No. Well, they are rappers, but that's not the word we are looking for. These people are mentioned in the Bible. Usually religious foretellers.
J: Oh my God! It's... Can I skip a word in the case of a blackout?
R: Yes you can. It was Profeetat (”the prophets”)
J: Of course.
R: When you don't tell the truth.
J: A liar? To lie?
R: Yes. To prank verbally.
J: To joke?
R: You've read these words!

T: She couldn't have done that. I had the envelope. R: True.
- Come on, I had a blackout with Profeetat. It probably ruined my chances.

T: Guess how it went... The winner is... Jonsu and Robert. A tie, both have seven points.
- Yay!

T: How do you feel? This is a nice result, but in my opinion, Robert was a lot worse explainer than Jonsu. For example in the Profeetat case, you could have said ”the name of their duo”.
- I knew what he meant, I just had a blackout because of the hurry and pressure.

R: Religious foretellers was the best way to explain the prophets. You can't diss it just because you didn't get it. T: I got it, but I think you were too slow. I'd almost like to announce Jonsu as a winner, but it's a tie.
- But I think you gave me too many points because in real Alias you'll get a minus point if you skip a word, so I should grant my victory to Robert.

R: Let's stay with the tie.
- So, it's a tie then.

R: It's nice that sometimes a guest reaches my level.

- - -

T: Now it's time for the short questions part. Our guest in the studio is Jonsu who is known from Indica, but is now in a solo career. Are you ready? Robert and I will ask in turns and you should answer shortly. R: And quickly. Keep the same tempo we had while explaining the words.
- Can I skip questions here too?

R: No, but in this case there are no wrong answers. T: You can answer based on your own opinions. Robert will start when Jonsu is ready.

R: This should be asked later, but let's start with a tough one... What's the most important thing in life?
J: I'll say ”here and now” so at the moment it's Lähiradio.
T: Who would you like to meet?
J: Oh my God... I don't know... I'll say you.
R: Congratulations. That has happened.
J: I got stuck with the ”here and now” thing.
R: Fortunately you don't have anything to eat at the moment, so what's your favorite food?
J: Err... chanterelles.
T: How about favorite drink?
J: Well, I'll say water. I was going to say white wine, but fortunately I changed it.
R: What's your favorite movie?
J: Probably The Wizard of Oz. I've got stuck with that.
T: Jonsu, what was your dream occupation as a kid?
J: Err... a ballerina or a rider, or a musician. One of those.
R: What would you take with you to a desert island?
J: Probably myself.
T: Your favorite song?
J: The quick answer is Over the Rainbow, because I'm still stuck with the Wizard of Oz. See how slowly my brain works.
R: How about from your own songs? You only have one solo single, but can say an Indica song as well.
J: Come on! I'm here to promote my solo career, so I naturally answer Valloita Maailma. Saying another song would be bad promotion.
T: Indeed. R: I think I know your answer, but what's your favorite season?
J: Summer.
R: Yeah. T: What's your favorite place in Helsinki? R: Kallio?
J: Kallio is one, and I like the Lauttasaari beach too.
R: What are you afraid of?
J: Sometimes darkness. I'm also afraid of blood tests... I have all kinds of fears.
T: What do you despise, Jonsu?
J: Oh my God, this is a difficult question. What do I despise... Well, I don't like cruelty and wickedness.
R: What would you change in the world?
J: This is a difficult question because you never know what other things will change if you change something. I don't know, why don't you answer me. I'll send it back like a boomerang. What would you change in the world?
R: After your reasoning, I don't think I would dare to change anything.
J: Yeah. When you think you're saving something, you may just cause a bigger catastrophe.
R: For example, if I fired the prime minister, his successor could be someone like Hitler.
J: You never know.
R: It's the butterfly effect.
T: Jonsu, the last question. What's the meaning of life?
J: Errrrrr.... This is like chanting om... I'll say finding... a peace of mind. Let's stick with that. I don't know!
T: I thought the ”om” would have continued with ...man. R: Don't say that.
J: It's not the right answer. Let's just answer om...

T: You got most of them correct. She was good, wasn't she, Robert? R: Everything correct plus she ruined our ”what would you change” question for good. Now we have to find another question.
- And why don't you tell me the meaning of life? How could I know that?

T: Isn't it to be happy? R: It's one possible answer. T: So, Jonsu's visit is going to end, but the next single is coming in autumn and you can find her on social media as well.
- Yes, I have my own Facebook and Instagram accounts. Maybe I'll soon post a nice photo of us all there.

T: Wonderful. Thank you for the visit.
- Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu 31. Aug 2017, 11:31 
Archivist
Archivist

Has anyone in Finland got this number?

PostPosted: Mon 4. Sep 2017, 09:25 
Archivist
Archivist

something here

http://bitblond.blogspot.com/2017/07/va ... ailma.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11