It is currently Wed 20. Sep 2017, 16:26

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Media
PostPosted: Sun 7. Dec 2014, 17:27 
True Indican
True Indican

The translation of the Sue article is on its own thread. I could translate next the Kortesmäki interview.

By the way, when I was browsing old news on Turun Sanomat, I noticed a short news that Jonsu was third in an unofficial Miss Pop 2005 online vote. That made me do some research about Jonsu in Miss Pop.

2005 third
2006 fifth
2007 seventh

After that she hasn't been among the ten finalists. I think the trend has more to do with Indica's popularity going down than Jonsu's looks going down. :)

PostPosted: Tue 9. Dec 2014, 16:59 
True Indican
True Indican

Here’s my translation of the Kortesmäki interview with Jonsu and Heini. It was aired on the 26th of February 2014. (Jonsu’s first comment seems to relate to something that had happened in the broadcast before the interview. I haven’t seen the full episode, so I can’t explain it more accurately.)

It’s great that you’ve arrived!
Jonsu: You’re our favourite human piñata.

You are one of my favourite people.
Jonsu: You are one of ours too.

You released your new album and are now on tour. I also heard that Jonsu has come out of the closet.
Heini: At last.
Jonsu: Have I?

I was told that when Jonsu was a kid she spent one month in a closet because she was so nervous.
Jonsu: I was there at least one month…
Heini: I think you’re overstating.
Jonsu: …that’s why the normal life is so difficult for me now. Yeah, I liked to be there and ponder the world.

Was the closet your safe place?
Jonsu: It was rather safe. When I was a kid I liked sleeping and sitting in the closet… I wonder if it means that my normal life was miserable those days.
Heini: Now when you mentioned it, I remember this era. I had completely forgotten it, but you seriously spent time in a closet.
Jonsu: That’s true. Maybe I should try it again some day. So, if I have a bad day, maybe I should just go in there and close the door.

Just don’t close it too tight, so that you’re able to breathe in there.
Jonsu: Yeah.

You mentioned that you liked sleeping. I remember that you’ve also told that you slept in your parents’ bed until you became a teenager…
Jonsu: I slept there only until I was… 12.
Heini: 13.
Jonsu: That’s true.

Anyway, you took the control in your dreams.
Jonsu: Yes I did. In fact, I slept between my mom and dad until I was 13 because I had so bad nightmares. They were awful. I decided not to sleep ever again, but then I practised to control my dreams and fix them. After that, my dreams became much, much better.

So, you managed to beat up all the monsters in your dreams?
Jonsu: Yeah, I made them my minions and we had a great empire there.

Heini, do you think that it’s boring that you only have normal dreams?
Heini: I suppose it is. I can’t understand how anyone can… It’s true. At least she claims that she can control her dreams. In my opinion, it’s baffling. I have no control of my dreams. They are equally strange every time.
Jonsu: I did it for two years. I haven’t done it for a long time. I wonder if I even would be able to do it anymore.

But when you were in full control of your dreams, were you able to capitalize your sleeping time? Have you, for example, created music while sleeping?
Jonsu: I haven’t practised lucid dreaming for a long time, but one of the songs in our new album was born in a way that I had a dream of a song and I was very touched in the morning. I don’t usually get touched of my dreams, but then I was in tears and went to play it immediately. The song even included the lyrics. But this doesn’t happen often. If it happened every night, I wouldn’t have to work at all.

“Do you have a day job?” “No, I work when I sleep.”
Jonsu: Yeah.
Heini: Jonsu has never had a real job in her life.
Jonsu: Come on! Being a musician is a real and hard job.

(sarcastically): Yes, being a musician is a very hard job indeed. But since you’ve often slept together, for example in the bus, what have been the weirdest things you’ve done while sleeping?
Heini: We haven’t done anything particularly weird…
Jonsu: You’ve done pranks to me.
Heini: Yeah, Jonsu likes to take naps quite often and we’ve put candy in her mouth.
Jonsu: Yeah, I tend to sleep in a beautiful position like this *shows the position*. And I often wake up realizing that my mouth is full of candies.

Those are quite lame pranks. You use candies instead of things like snuff or organic waste.
Jonsu: That’s true. But earlier we had a technician who had once gone to the shower while sleeping. He woke up in the morning realizing that the shower was on and his clothes were wet. So, he had taken a shower while sleeping. And once we were in the bus…

So, he’s a “sleepwetter”.
Jonsu: …and he dropped from the seat and continued sleeping.
Heini: Yeah. He slept on two seats in the fetal position and when the bus slowed down rapidly, we saw him dropping to the floor, and he just continued sleeping.
Jonsu: He’s a sound sleeper.
Heini: He’s an incredibly sound sleeper. That’s useful when you’re touring by bus.

Continuing the sleep theme, in my opinion waking up can be a puzzling thing. I usually sleep at home, so when I wake up somewhere else… You’ve had tours all over the world, so what does it feel like to wake up in some strange place? Does it take time to get oriented?
Jonsu: Waking up at the Italian border was awful.
Heini: That was a tough situation. Italian customs officers woke us up…

So, you were at the border in the bus?
Heini: We slept in the bus when the customs officers rushed into the bus with dogs and pulled everyone out of the bus in the middle of the night, straight from the bed.

They just wanted to see you: “There’s a girl band in the bus!”
Jonsu: But there was also a boy band.
Heini: But they were Swedes.
Jonsu: It happened when we were touring with Pain and Nightwish. I woke up when someone pointed a flashlight directly into my eyes and I noticed that something furry is next to me. I thought that it had to be one of the Swedes, but it turned out to be a dog. We all had some wonderful nightdresses on and they made everyone sit in a circle, some (of the men) didn’t even have clothes, and the officer was putting leather gloves on…

“Now, photographs!”
Jonsu: …and we were like *looks terrified*.
Heini: That was a cruel situation. So, they raided the bus.

Oh, how nice. We could also talk about your new album Akvaario. It’s a yellow album.
Jonsu: Yes it is. We thought that people would need something colourful and refreshing in February.

You’ve changed your style. You used to have a fairy and fantasy theme, and Tuomas Holopainen produced your previous album. So, have you switched to a yellow theme?
Heini: Now we are a yellow band. Jonsu desperately tried to maintain the remains of the fairy image in the past few years…
Jonsu: They used to laugh at me: “You’re almost 30. Stop it!”
Heini: “You can’t be a 30-year-old fairy!”
Jonsu: Why not? But now we made a bit more poppish and realistic Indica album.

Did you spend any time in the closet while making this album?
Jonsu: A bit. I visit there every now and then.

Every now and then. Let’s talk a bit of your private life. You said that Jonsu hasn’t worked a single day in a real job, except as a musician, but I heard that you’ve been (stand-up comic) Ismo Leikola’s secretary.
Jonsu: Yes I have, thank you for reminding me!

That’s a real job. We have Ismo Leikola’s secretary here!
Jonsu: It’s true. I was in that job for a month. I decided to do it because the band members always teased me about jobs because they all had had real jobs. They said: “Jonsu couldn’t handle any job”. And I knew that I could. I knew that Ismo really needed a secretary and I told him: “How about me being your secretary?”
Heini: But he didn’t ask you to do any real tasks. You just got nominated as his secretary and got paid for it.
Jonsu: That’s not true. I worked for a month, but then I saw how some secretary had filed the papers properly and realized that: “No way.”

What was your method then?
Jonsu: I just put all incoming mail in a single file.

“See what I’ve accomplished in a month.”
Jonsu: It was fun for one month.
Heini: You are exaggerating.

So, Heini, apparently the other band members have had to do some real jobs?
Heini: Yeah. All the rest of us have been students at some point and have had real jobs. And now Jonsu got interested in studying at last.

In the School of Business!
Jonsu: I wanted to prove to them that I can do other things too.

Let’s support her a bit: *applauds*. It’s good that you’re trying. I wish you success with the tour.
Jonsu: Thank you.
Heini: Thank you.

So, Indica is having a massive spring tour?
Jonsu: It’s massive. We started at Hotelli Vantaa and on Friday we’re at Bar Loose. Everyone’s invited! And on the eve of May Day we’re in an important shelter called Tavastia. You can come there at midnight if it’s cold outside.

(sarcastically) Everyone will definitely remember it at that midnight. *pretends to be drunk* “Where were we supposed to go?” Go to Tavastia.

PostPosted: Thu 18. Dec 2014, 22:37 
True Indican
True Indican

Here’s my translation of the review of the concert at Turku Cathedral. The review was published in Turun Sanomat on the 16th of August 2014.

Indica as Humble and Fragile

Indica’s acoustic concert at Turku Cathedral on Thursday, the 14th of August

A sanctuary is a challenging venue for pop music not only technically but also emotionally. Indica that performed with acoustic arrangements and without the drummer managed well at the cathedral because of their beautiful melodies and humble simplicity.

The band arrived at the stage without saying a word. They all were wearing black dresses. The concert began with hypnotic Hiljainen Maa which was carried by vocalist Jonsu Salomaa’s violin and Sirkku Karvonen’s electric piano. Pidä Kädestä played a bit louder and was supported by Jonsu’s piano and Jenny Mandelin’s acoustic rhythm guitar. At the beginning of Valoissa the remaining lights except the candles were put off, which emphasised guitar (Tuuliajolla), voice parts (Tuule Tuuli), synthesizer strings (Lauluja Paratiisista) and hymn-like melodies (Tuuliset Tienoot) in an ideal way.

The only song that seemed like a lost sheep was rhythmic Ikuinen Virta. The band looked a bit lost too towards the beginning of the gig. The bassist Heini Säisä seemed to be most at ease. However, Indica managed to turn their caution to sensitivity and simplicity.

After the rare Lasienkeli the band played splendid Rannalla followed by the only cover song Täällä Pohjan Tähden Alla by Petri Laaksonen. These songs were so full of self-confidence and power that sniffs were heard from the audience in the dark hall of the church. The encore song Vettä Vasten combined well the strengths of the gig: sensitivity and power.

The concert also proved how surroundings affect the interpretation of pop songs and especially their lyrics. At church, Indica’s texts got completely new, spiritual dimensions. Many of them would work fine as modern hymns.

But Indica is a pop band, although they have flirted with mystic-romantic nuances during their whole 13-year career. Fortunately Indica is a good pop band. Because of their supporting melodies, the songs work even as stripped versions. The songs could have been stripped even more. The most stripped and slowest songs worked the best because they weren’t blurred by the long echo of the hall.

The reviewer: Jussi Helle

PostPosted: Sun 4. Jan 2015, 23:49 
Archivist
Archivist

Niko, thanks do much for your work!

Indica videos by Lawrence Dolkart are mentioned here: http://issuu.com/omvf/docs/omvf_k__siohjelma_2014 - page 18.

I do not understand what this list represents and where Indica vids are actually included.

"Dark art is not a devil thing, it's quite the opposite, it's a God thing. You truly find God on sadness, not on happiness. My darkest arts, my darkest thoughts are from heaven"
@ Nathalia Suellen (Lady Symphonia)

My youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Severus479

PostPosted: Mon 5. Jan 2015, 10:23 
True Indican
True Indican

That's the list of Finnish music videos published in 2014 that were shown to public in a music video festival. So, Indica's videos were a part of the 48-minute presentation called "National View 2".

For some reason Suunta On Vain Ylöspäin is listed there as "Kun usko ei riitä". The song includes the line "jos tänään usko ei riitä", so I suppose that has somehow caused the confusion. Perhaps "Kun usko ei riitä" has been the working title of the song.

EDIT: Translations of the Finnish title and line:

Kun usko ei riitä = When you don't have enough faith
Jos tänään usko ei riitä = If you don't have enough faith today

PostPosted: Wed 7. Jan 2015, 11:24 
Archivist
Archivist

Niko wrote:
That's the list of Finnish music videos published in 2014 that were shown to public in a music video festival. So, Indica's videos were a part of the 48-minute presentation called "National View 2".

For some reason Suunta On Vain Ylöspäin is listed there as "Kun usko ei riitä". The song includes the line "jos tänään usko ei riitä", so I suppose that has somehow caused the confusion. Perhaps "Kun usko ei riitä" has been the working title of the song.

EDIT: Translations of the Finnish title and line:

Kun usko ei riitä = When you don't have enough faith
Jos tänään usko ei riitä = If you don't have enough faith today

Thanks! "Kun usko ei riitä", as I understand, was the first title of the song/video: http://vimeo.com/81136833

"Dark art is not a devil thing, it's quite the opposite, it's a God thing. You truly find God on sadness, not on happiness. My darkest arts, my darkest thoughts are from heaven"

PostPosted: Fri 6. Mar 2015, 11:35 
Archivist
Archivist

German fans, is there anything interesting in what they say here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kJ3nN_hifg

PostPosted: Tue 17. Mar 2015, 17:14 
Archivist
Archivist

some old stuff here: http://www.ts.fi/viihde/1074048198/Indi ... +Relaxissa (in Finnish). Is there ahything of interest?

PostPosted: Wed 18. Mar 2015, 18:21 
True Indican
True Indican

It's a short story of Relax event in Turku on the 1st of June 2005. Indica performed there as main act. Here's my translation of the Indica part:

Tips from old hands

When the school band competition is over, the most famous performers arrive at the stage: Jonsu, Jenny, Heini, Laura and Sirkku. The girls had time to talk briefly with the members of (school band) Peter Panics.
- Every band has their personal way of making songs. I prefer to write music in the evenings and nights with a piano, says the songwriter Jonsu and encourages beginning school bands to find out what is their own ideal way of writing songs.

While the bands of the competition are still dreaming of gigs and releasing an album, Indica is living their dream already. The successful debut album is getting a companion towards the end of the year when the band will release their second album.
- Today we’ll play mainly the songs of the Ikuinen Virta album, but there is one new song as well, the girls tell with one voice.

PostPosted: Thu 19. Mar 2015, 19:57 

I'm not shure was it already mentioned...http://www.kylteri.fi/post/81295359668/ ... su-salomaa

http://www.jonsu-indicaband.blogspot.com - 1st Polish blog about INDICA/ 1. Polski blog o zespole INDICA
http://jonsuindicaoutfits.webs.com/ - The only fansite about Jonsu's outfits!/ Jedyna strona internetowa na temat strojów Jonsu!

PostPosted: Sat 21. Mar 2015, 15:51 
True Indican
True Indican

Thank you for the link. So, here's my translation of the Kylteri interview, which was published on the 31st of March 2014.

Are you having an age crisis, Jonsu Salomaa?

How did you end up to the School of Business?
- We had contract issues with our German record label and the English album got suspended because of that. Then I decided to apply to the School of Business in order to learn more about these things.

Had you ever before considered applying to the School of Business?
- No. Before the contract issues I had only been thinking about making music.

On vauva.fi discussion board people were shocked of the number of hours you spent reading for the entrance exams. How much did you study?
- I went to a preparatory course and the leader said that I should study at least for 500 hours. I studied intensively for three months, but the most of the time went for learning studying techniques and revising mathematics.

How have you as an artist adapted to the company of business students?
- Very well! In the tour bus you will easily regress to the level of a 12-year-old boy, so in a way the School of Business has raised me as a person.

How have you handled the school and your band at the same time?
- This has been very challenging, but I’ve now found my inner peace. One period was especially hard because I had a lot of group works and parties while I was making the album.

Many new business students come directly from high school. Are you having an age crisis?
- Not really. I’ve adapted well to the group. They haven’t called me a fossil. I’ve got used to working with people of different ages. One of my good friends is an 82-year-old dancer.

You stopped drinking alcohol in order to endure at work and school. Have you enjoyed the student parties without booze?
- This is embarrassing because I blabbered about it everywhere and then I slipped anyway! I meant to live a year without alcohol, caffeine and candies. Now my goal is to life healthily, but I let myself slip sometimes. I’ll reserve my alcohol usage for the best parties because I couldn’t endure drinking alcohol every weekend.

Indica is known for rough parties while touring. Which one has wilder parties: The School of Business or Indica?
- Oh no, I can’t answer this! If I say Indica, the students get upset and vice versa.

How is the music business doing in Finland?
- It’s in a crisis, just like everywhere else. This is a very insecure profession. First the music business fought against the dropping of album sales, but they haven’t found a good solution. Spotify isn’t very profitable for musicians. Instead, most musicians live by gigs and radio playing. At the same time people expect new music to have the same or better quality as before, but the costs haven’t dropped at all, and good producers are expensive.

PostPosted: Fri 3. Apr 2015, 12:50 
Archivist
Archivist

it seems it has not been posted yet... Any translation, please? http://www.stara.fi/2015/02/10/haastattelussa-indica/

edit: it seems to have much in common with Stara magazine interview, which has been already translated by Niko. Or is it just the same?

PostPosted: Fri 3. Apr 2015, 18:29 
True Indican
True Indican

It's the same interview.

PostPosted: Wed 17. Jun 2015, 09:18 
Archivist
Archivist

seems it has not been posted yet... edit: it was translated already, but you can see one extra photo

Selvis-lehti 02/2010

http://www.elvisry.fi/kolumni/tangon-ta ... tkykauppaa
http://www.elvisry.fi/artikkeli/jonsu

credits to Daniel G. Ventum

PostPosted: Fri 19. Jun 2015, 15:42 
Archivist
Archivist

any translation, please? http://www.menaiset.fi/artikkeli/ruoka/ihan_ite_tein

PostPosted: Thu 25. Jun 2015, 07:31 
True Indican
True Indican

Thank you for the link. The article is about Jonsu cooking three things. Since cooking isn’t my strongest ability, translating the whole article would be difficult to me. I translated the title and introduction. Anyone willing to translate the rest? If not, I could later write a brief summary of it.

I Made It All By Myself!

Three cookbooks and an inexperienced chef. Incida’s singer Jonsu tests if the kitchen rebel can handle cooking with books.

Young adults make their own sausages, brew beer and experience new flavors abroad. But not Indica’s figurehead Jonsu. She won’t waste her time for cooking – in her opinion even frothing cream takes an eternity. When Jonsu wants to get her kicks from eating, she buys candies.

In the rare cases Jonsu is cooking, she makes large portions.
- I love cucumber-avocado sushi and had to eat it four days in a row. For the next two years I didn’t want more of it.

For Jonsu, food is energy that makes it possible to do something else. Often “something else” is related to music.

The musician has a combined living room and kitchen. In one end there is a stove and in the other a piano. Between them there is a row of guitars and a drum set.
- I always rather walk at the piano than to the kitchen.

But today she marches to the kitchen to test if an inexperienced chef can make food by following the instructions of cookbooks. The afternoon goes by making a jelly roll, salad and a soup.

EDIT: Okay, if no one considers it a piece of cake, I'll do some cherry-picking (summary). :)

Task 1 - Jelly roll

When Jonsu is asked to use a sieve she says that she's not afraid of lumps because "people have teeth". Making the jelly roll takes so much time that Jonsu says: "In this time I would have been able to buy one in the gas station near by, eat it and have a coffee as well." She also says: "What's the point in cooking this kind of trash food? There's nothing healthy in a jelly roll." Whisking the filling takes so long that Jonsu says: "In this time I would have composed an album." Once the jelly roll is ready and Jonsu tastes it, she says: "I'll cancel my critizism! This tastes much better than the one in the gas station. Maybe it was worth all this effort after all."

Task 2 - Coconut salad

Jonsu says that she has 12 cookbooks and they are the least read books in the house. She says that buying the incredients cost probably as much as the salad in a restaurant. Jonsu wonders what a mortar is, googles it, and realizes that she owns one: "I haven't used it ever before." Once the salad is ready, she says that it tastes good and she will make it again, but then she will use a blender instead of a mortar and pestle.

Task 3 - Spinach soup

Jonsu chooses a spinach soup from the third cookbook because it's one of the few vegetarian foods in the book. She says that fresh spinach is so much more expensive than a frozen spinach cube that she would rather buy a cube. She makes a mistake by putting the spinach to boiling water instead of pouring boiling water on spinach in a sieve: "Too complicated." Jonsu reads the receipt and wonders: "Why does a vegetarian soup include chicken juice?" She uses a vegetable bouillon cube instead.

Last edited by Niko on Sun 12. Jul 2015, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat 11. Jul 2015, 14:34 
Archivist
Archivist

I do not remember if it has been posted already. Failed to find it in this thread, anyhow.

http://www.pointer.de/2043,indica_portraet.htm

PostPosted: Sun 12. Jul 2015, 18:38 
True Indican
True Indican

I suppose it's not translated yet, but in my opinion Google translates it rather well, much better than it translates the Finnish cooking article. I added the promised summary to the translation of the cooking article above.

PostPosted: Mon 20. Jul 2015, 12:55 
Archivist
Archivist

Niko, thanks a lot!

Some (old, 2013) news about Jonsu and Jesse here: http://www.seiska.fi/NEWS-lahetys/NEWS- ... ot/1011274

UPD: one more interview. Any translation?

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Thu 30. Jul 2015, 17:00 
True Indican
True Indican

Thank you for the links. The news about the wedding doesn’t contain any new information, so I don’t think it would be necessary to translate it. Here’s my translation of the Brisbanen Suomiradio interview which was filmed on the 30th of April 2014:

This is Brisbanen Suomiradio with Tuula and Krisse. Tuula is interviewing Jonsu from Indica. We’ve just seen their gig at Tavastia and the atmosphere is incredible.

How did it feel to perform at Tavastia on the eve of May Day?
- It was very nice. As you can hear from my voice, it’s a bit hoarse already. I wonder what’s left of it tomorrow.

All right. I heard that you’re going to watch another gig today.
- We’re going to watch the gig of our friends Arto Muna ja Millennium. I don’t think they’ve had gigs in past ten years, so now we can relive the feelings of our teenage years.

Could you tell us what’s going on with your band?
- We’re happy. We spent almost three years in studio, so we haven’t had a tour for a long time. Now we are anxious to tour again.

You released a new album, Akvaario, in February.
- Yes we did. For a long time we made new Finnish material.

That’s awesome, especially for us who live abroad. It’s wonderful to listen to Finnish music.
- We’re definitely not abandoning the Finnish language.

You worked with Tuomas Holopainen a couple of years ago. Are you going to continue with him? Or doesn’t he bother working with you anymore because you switched back to Finnish or what’s the situation?
- I think at the moment Tuomas is busy because he’s touring abroad. We made our previous album with a German producer, Roland Spremberg. We’ll see what will happen with the next album.

All right. At the moment, you are my favourite Finnish band. You’re great. Please continue in the same way.
- Thank you, that’s wonderful to hear.

PostPosted: Sun 4. Oct 2015, 16:35 
Archivist
Archivist

https://www.verkkokauppa.com/files/16/15_2430.pdf page 7

will anybody be so kind to translate this?

PostPosted: Sun 4. Oct 2015, 18:21 
True Indican
True Indican

It's the same article I translated here.

PostPosted: Sat 19. Mar 2016, 11:33 
Archivist
Archivist

something from 2014 here (in Finnish)

http://nalleosterman.blogspot.com/2014_ ... chive.html

PostPosted: Sat 19. Mar 2016, 21:22 
True Indican
True Indican

It's a blog of a rock reporter Nalle Österman. He mentions Indica in the story about Runnirock festival (in 2014). Here's my translation of the Indica part:

Poor Indica. They've travelled hundreds of kilometers to come here at Runnirock with a collection of great songs. Unfortunately the greatness doesn't reach the listeners because of utterly bad mixing. The stuffy sounds make them sound like a beginning demo band. With these feelings I have to say unscrupulously that Indica's time seems to have passed.

Caption: At Runnirock Indica looks good but sounds bad.

PostPosted: Sun 10. Apr 2016, 11:57 
Archivist
Archivist

Niko, thanks!

and what's this???

http://www.katsomo.fi/#!/jakso/33003585 ... -ratsastus

Quote:
Muut
Esitetty 04.03.2016 klo 15.15
Indican laulaja Jonsu on ollut pesunkestävä hevoshullu pikkutytöstä lähtien. Jonsun ratsastustunnilla myös taitokoululaiset saavat tuta hevoskärpäsen pureman.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next