It is currently Wed 20. Sep 2017, 16:31

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri 17. Jan 2014, 14:44 
Teen Indican
Teen Indican

http://www2.lehtiluukku.fi/esp/espview? ... oyfQ%3D%3D

It's in Finnish, but I'll translate it later.

PostPosted: Sat 18. Jan 2014, 08:52 
Teen Indican
Teen Indican

Don't carry fear

Indica did a record in two languages. Sue was the first one to hear singer, multi-instrumentalist Jonsu's thoughts about the album.

You couldn't miss mystic-progressive poprock playing Indica in 2004. Everyone, that has even been somewhere near radio back then probably remembers their debut-album's title single Ikuinen Virta, and Scarlett. For most people also music videos for those songs, in which five members of the band, Jonsu (vocals, violin, guitar, keyboards), Heini (bass, backing vocals), Sirkku (keyboards, backing vocals), Jenny (guitar, backing vocals), and Laura (drums, backing vocals) play in places, that seem to be magical parallel worlds became well known.
Next albums Tuuliset Tienoot (2005), Kadonnut Puutarha (2007), and Valoissa (2008) rooted Indica's boots in Finnish pop-music, and in 2010 their international debut A Way Away, that consisted of band's own hits in english, and was produced by Nightwish's Tuomas Holopainen was released.
In January 2014 there will be also new Finnish material among the English songs. The record is called Akvaario in Finland, and in here Suomen Musiikki releases it. At the same time it will be also released in Europe as Shine. Nuclear Blast takes care of releasing it outside Finland. Jonsu is really happy with people, Indica currently works with.
-"Markus Staiger from Nuclear Blast is a wonderful guy. He and Kari Hynninen are really enthusiastic, and work hard. I have aimed to get that kind of people and working-buddies around me. Other people's energy has much effect to me, and I have noticed, that it's hard to work with passive people. I rather get crazy, than unpassionate people to co-operate with."

Inside Aquarium

In their new record Indica has taken a giant leap away from the middle of fantasy forests, and moved towards more personal expression and the real world. Lyrics are about relationships, how humans see themselves, and even make statements about chronic stress, and working all the time, that burden people nowdays.
-"I have usually tried to draw the line, that I don't reveal all the skeletons from my life, even though I might still sing about those subjects. Aquarium is the most personal one of our records, and talks more directly about things. It was easier to write our previous records, because the same subjects were handled through faeries and goblins."
-"I wanted to make a statement about how world goes nowdays, and the hurry, and question if people really are happy. During the making of this record, I played a lot of the lyrics to the band, and asked for their oppinion. It's quite embarassing to admit it at this point of our career, but have only now come to realise, that they have really good oppinions about lyrics, and about details, that I don't even notice."
After one particular teatime with band the text for "Savuton ja Onneton" was born. It's message is, that people should enjoy life. The song, that was first a joke is now one of Jonsu's personal favourites.
-"It is the only song, that is complitely credited in Indica's name. It's about hurry, but it has many interprets. Somebody asked, does the song encourage people to have unprotected group-sex, or using drugs, alcohol, and cigarettes! It of course depends on the listener, and anyone can interpret it as they want.

In Finnish And In English

The band, that makes suprisingly complicated and even classical-sounding music for a pop-rock band has taken more simple musical direction on Akvaario. When A Way Away was almost symphonic metal, Akvaario sails on much calmer waters.
-"Rarely anything new really is created in pop-music. It's about combining things, and it's impossible to explain, why a song works, and moves something inside people. Of course bad composition can ruin a good song so, that it becomes annoying, or to put a song so full of everything, that the song itself is no longer audible. But how to create a good melody? That will probably fascinate me forever."
The new album is by it's covers a leap to fresh and relaxed state, in which people are encouraged to live in a moment, question the normal, and not to fear. A self-confident-looking band poses on the album cover, that shines encouraging spirit.
-"The yellowness of the covers, and promo photos came, when we realized, that we have always had blue, and green, and maybe a little bit darkening music. There came a feeling, that we wanted to make more poppish, groovy, and catchy music, but so, that the deepness stays, and people get positive energy."
-"I think, that the German record-label would have wanted, that we came more towards that direction that's on our last album. It would have been easier for them to market it. But I think this was better for Finland('s market). It was time to do something new, and get the joy and swing into our music."
The thought about Finnish album grew slowly, while waiting for release of the album in English.
-"I had spoken with the band and -team, that I also wanted to do an album in Finnish. Some had a feeling, that if we do it in two languages, we don't know what we want, or believe in what we do. But I think it's regarding the fans. I didn't start to translate my own lyrics, but I thought about how I could get the most out of them."
-"We had an year-long crises between Shine, and Akvaario. We had said to the record-label, that we wanted to do the album with time, but it didn't work for me. I realized, that deadlines make me more hard-working, and without them I wander and slack too much. And before we started to do the Finnish album, there came another crises. We had couple of unsigned contracts. The album was "shelved" for half a year, and nothing happened. The fear, that you have been working for two years, and the album might never be released was horrible. I did other works back then. I studied economic science, and decided, that I will never screw up like this again!"

German Producer

Roland Spremberg, that has produced The Baseballs, and A-ha got choosed to be the produced.
-"As a producer Roland is talented, really honest, strict and extremely demanding. I like to work with that kind of people. It gives me more freedom to relax, and concentrate on my own area. I want, that around me there is people with taste, that is similar enough to mine. Then you don't have to be really careful all the time, and control too many things, but you can concentrate on your own thing."

(To be continued)

PostPosted: Mon 3. Feb 2014, 12:35 
Archivist
Archivist

Quote:
(To be continued)

Does it mean that there will be the continuation of the translation, or that there wiil be the continuation in the next number of the magazine?

"Dark art is not a devil thing, it's quite the opposite, it's a God thing. You truly find God on sadness, not on happiness. My darkest arts, my darkest thoughts are from heaven"
@ Nathalia Suellen (Lady Symphonia)

My youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Severus479

PostPosted: Wed 5. Feb 2014, 22:50 
Heini Maniac
Heini Maniac

I think (or hope) the translation will be continued, because the interview seems very long and I really want to know what Jonsu tells about Wuthering Heights.

But thanks to Miss_Anna for the translation so far :)

PostPosted: Fri 28. Feb 2014, 17:50 

"AKVAARION SALAT
= THE SECRETS OF AQUARIUM"

(I'll translate these for you, since I'm bored, waiting tonights gig and also because I'm going to England soon, so I have to practice my English ;D)

(So this is Jonsu telling what are the songs telling about.)

Älä kanna pelkoa (Don't carry the fear)

- Why does a man have so strong urge to control someone's life so much, when they are in a romantic relationship? The purpose of this song is to think if it would be easier in a relationship, if there were more compassionate flexibility.

Liian kaunis vailla suuntaa (Too beautiful without a direction)

- This is about a person, who lives his/her life for others and consents(agrees?) every requirements.

Suunta on vain ylöspäin (The only way is up)

- I believe that in the most desperate moments you have hope, and that the love and happiness is inside every person. This is also about the believing, that if the relationship ends, everything ends. It's not that someone can take away anyones love(/loving?) away!

Savuton ja onneton (Smokefree and unhappy)

- The purpose of the song is to brake the perfect picture of human.
I think it's a good thing to fool around every once in a while.

Sun oma (Yours (or Yours only?))

- Commitment is a beautiful thing - that you promise to be with the other always no matter what. It is important, that there is people who doesn't cheat or leave you, even though you are yourself and you're testing your limits.

Maailma loppuu (The world ends)

- This is about a dude, who creates a "world-ends" (the end of the worlds? :D) about the little things and whips him/herself because of them.

Nirvanaan (To the nirvana)

- The subject is a relationship which has lost its passion. After the first "grey day" there is no reason to change the relationship into another. Frequently you'll find the passion again.

Tuuliajolla (Adrift)

- There is a periods of time in life, when there is a lot of things going on and suddenly everything comes to an end just like that. That kind of feeling of emptiness is what this song is about.

Kultaan kuun (I'm gilding the moon)

- It doesn't take much time to watch the news and you're wondering where has all the beauty and goodness disappeared from the world. On the other hand you notice that it's still left there. It's good to begin changing the world from near yourself.

Tuule tuuli (Blow, wind (can't translate this better...)

- One of my friend from the childhood was inclined to self-destructiveness.
When I was a child, I often thought in the nights if he/she will be alive the next morning.
I thought that the incoming grief will be easier to handle to if I imagine his/her funeral beforehand.
This is the song, that I would had sung in his/her funeral.
Fortunately/luckily that person is still alive.

Onnen syy (The reason of happiness)

- The reason of happiness tells about the little things which makes you happy.
That you can live/be in this moment and make it the most important moment.

Akvaario (Aquarium)

- Aquarium tells about glamorizing the celebrity and the thought that a person is alive only when he gets enough attention and is visible to the others.

-----

I'm sorry if I did it badly, someone please correct me if there were something odd or wrong! :D

ei aukee nyt ja tässä
Sä voit luottaa, kun et ohjaa
Joku muu johdattaa