It is currently Mon 26. Jun 2017, 15:45

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun 19. Jun 2016, 17:13 
Scholar Indican
Scholar Indican

I'm getting too old for this.

I have to admit I had completely forgotten what it's like to go to relevant gigs. In the near-15-month absence of Jonsu gigs, I have seen some gigs from good and very good bands, but it's just not the same. They are almost without exception empty experiences that fade from memory before a good night's sleep, while these are the exact opposite of that. It's kind of insulting to call both types just "gigs". In the span of 12 hours that this trip lasted, I thought and felt more than I have in the past year (minus one day). There was elation, something that could be vaguely (and wrongly) described as love, hate, regret, hope, despair, wistfulness - i.e. the usual stuff. Of course there was also music ranging from pointless & badly performed to great & superbly performed.

The gig took place at the backyard of a Scandinavian restaurant that hosted a mini-festival. The place was very nice, basically a closed garden with a fairly large stage. The festival lasted two days with three performers on both days. JED was "the lesser big name" of their day, while admittedly they were way lesser in name than the lead performer of the day (Club for Five). There were maybe a hundred people when JED started. I have no idea if they were active or what happened to that number during the gig. I had no eyes nor ears for anything that was not on the stage. After the gig I just stared into space for five minutes, vaguely considering going to say hi to Jonsu, but correctly decided against it and just got out of the place. I'm pretty sure a loud axe-murder could've happened 5 meters away and I wouldn't have noticed.

It more or less seemed that instrument-wise Emppu had brought her A-game and Jonsu was just along for the ride. There were some new arrangements (I think), but it could simply be that they (or at least Jonsu) had simply skipped the tedious act of practicing... No new JED songs were played, so I'm not going to bother with coming up an approximate set list. That one song that was first played on the last JED gig (some sort of slow, sappy love song I think - I don't remember enough of the lyrics to find it on Google, so it's impossible to say for sure) in Vantaa was played again. I didn't know its name nor original artist back then and I still don't; the only thing I can say about is that Jonsu makes it spectacular with that voice of hers. At the start of the gig I was actually rather disillusioned from all the expectation and occasionally I even thought "did they always sound like this?" or "is *this* really why I came all this way?", but after Jonsu sang a couple of songs (especially the aforementioned one) I understood perfectly why I was there.

Finally some even more random thoughts:
-It kept raining throughout the gig. Indica's performances tend to clear the sky, but I guess JED has no such power.
-Aside from pretty much every song that Jonsu led, Doris was fantastic as ever. Unfortunately my other Emppu-led favorite, Ode to My Family, was not played.
-I think Jonsu had brownish (?) hair. Kind of hard to tell for a partially color-blind guy, especially with all the lights. All I can say for sure is it wasn't blue, black or blonde. I think.
-Personally this was my longest break from Jonsu gigs since my first one, exceeding the previous record holder by 7 days. Let's hope a new record is *not* in the making. Many times I actually feared this day would never come. But it was worth the wait.
-I have a vague idea I didn't ramble this much before, but I won't check 'cos then I'd have to deal with reality.
-Having reread this: I sound completely obsessed, don't I? I guess that at least that's entertaining (after a fashion). Especially since I sincerely think I'm not.

PostPosted: Sun 19. Jun 2016, 21:49 
Archivist
Archivist

Thanks for report!!! I have found neither vids nor photos of the gig. Let's hope they will appear. How long was the gig and how many songs did they perform? Did Indica songs make the majority of the setlist? Were you the only Indica fan there?

"Dark art is not a devil thing, it's quite the opposite, it's a God thing. You truly find God on sadness, not on happiness. My darkest arts, my darkest thoughts are from heaven"
@ Nathalia Suellen (Lady Symphonia)

My youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Severus479

PostPosted: Sun 19. Jun 2016, 22:22 
Scholar Indican
Scholar Indican

Yes, for some reason the event organizer put up at least one picture of all the other performers but not JED. I think the gig was standard length, about 13 songs / 1 hour. I can't recall more than 3 Indica songs (Kummajaisten Joukko, Vuorien Taa, and Ikuinen Virta for encore). I don't find that important at all, so I didn't really think about it before. There was only one familiar Indica-related guy that I saw, which is disappointing but never surprising.

PostPosted: Mon 20. Jun 2016, 10:24 
Elder Indican
Elder Indican

Thanks for the report Nico.

Also, I'd just like to point out that "love, hate, regret, hope, despair, wistfulness" sounds like a good name for an album.