All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri 28. Dec 2012, 14:56 
Archivist
Archivist

Other Finnish Bands
Indica Forum -> General -> Other Finnish bands

Wizzu
Posted 19 January 2008 - 04:18

So someone (I think Mark) asked me what I thought of the Stalingrad Cowgirls show I recently saw.
Rather than continue off-topic, I thought I'd start a new thread for discussing other Finnish bands besides Indica. I mean, I'm the moderator, I'm at least supposed to try to set an example of staying on topic. :) Please feel free to discuss any other Finnish band here. We'll see how it goes.

Now, about Stalingrad Cowgirls. A brief intro for those who don't know them (which is probably most all), they are a 3-girl band from a village called Salla, in the north of Finland. They're probably the first ever band to come out of that village, at least one which has made any kind of name for itself, so even that is noteworthy in itself. Currently I think the girls are 18, 18 and 17 so they were pretty young when they started.
I wouldn't classify their music even as hard rock or punk rock, more like pretty standard rock. Maybe with some hard rock / punk rock overtones. I don't know when they formed, but they released their debut record last summer and have played many gigs all over Finland, including at the very large (by Finnish standards) Provinssirock festival.
I'd not yet seen them live, nor heard any of their music except for one song until the concert at Rocks. They do have a fairly energetic show and (already?) know how to perform, no crowd shyness here despite their age. They play fairly well but the songs seem to be fairly straightforward and such... In fact I think the biggest problem is that the songs were pretty weak. Of course it's a challenge with just guitar/bass/drums to create interesting songs but there you go, if you need more instruments then get more.
I can't help but to compare SC to another recent new girl-band, Pintandwefall, who are of about the same age. SC are far ahead in terms of playing and singing, but PAWF have pretty cool songs -- even they are still rather immature, they have nice ideas and show promise there.

I've yet to hear the album from either of these groups, so I guess my opinions could change. Seeing one show and two shows is not very much to form a good opinion.

Felipe.cl
Posted 19 January 2008 - 04:51

Amorphis is my favourite finnish band, the "Tales from the 1000 lakes", "Elegy" and the "Eclipse" albums are my favourites.
Sentenced is the other, but they are disbanded :(

A friend of me send me the ong "Oo Siella Jossain Mun" from PMMP two years ago (I think), good band...

But here in Chile are "HIM" and "The Rasmus" the most audible bands from Finland on a radiostation.
(The Rasmus plays 2 times in Chile, 2006)

(A metal band? my favourite is Impaled Nazarene)

doctor
Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:23

I KNOW NIGHTWISH OG LORDI.
About nightwish i have all the cd and i think the last one is the best. Anette is a little too much pop but i am sure the others going to learn her how to act. Anyway she make an impression on me after the concert in gotthenburg when she tried to give a hug to the fans.I just bought Tarjas cd and this is a disaster i switch on indica at once .
About Lordi they put finnish music on agenda everywhere. I love them .
I was wondering wizzu Why you always put your answers in the middle of the night in the forum. Are you working in the night ? or you are every day on a gig ? :D

ethsgrl
Posted 19 January 2008 - 13:33

I like Tarja cd :P I was expected something worse than that!

Well my favourite finnish band's Nightwish I've been a fan for years but I don't like Anette, I mean she seems nice but I don't like the way she sings at all. :( She's ok on dpp but live the old songs sound awfull.. Wishmaster live http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0wC2U7z ... l=fr&gl=FR :blink:

Well all finnish band I knew before Indica were english singing bands and for now I haven't find yet an other finnish singing band I like.. :rolleyes:

Mark
Posted 19 January 2008 - 16:55

Thanks Wizzu, informative as ever :) I've noticed Pintandwefall as well and you've confirmed my impressions of both those bands.
To me, they make an interesting comparison because tastewise the Cowgirls sound very American but I think a lot of English fans would go for the Pints. They seem to have our kind of sense of humour!
I would urge grunge fans to check out Bitch Alert's ..rriot album, if you don't know the band.
Apart from Indica and PMMP, I also really like Scandinavian Music Group, they make very classy music.
I'm seeing Nightwish in April but they're new to me so I'll try and be open-minded about the singer!

...and I'm fascinated by what other people are into; it seems like Indica manages to gather fans from all different musical directions, doesn't it?

Felipe.cl
Posted 20 January 2008 - 00:46

Mark, on 19.1.2008, 16:55, said:
...and I'm fascinated by what other people are into; it seems like Indica manages to gather fans from all different musical directions, doesn't it?

Maybe the reason is:
Indica plays a kind of "rock" a little bit "audible" than a normal metal or heavy-rock band...

And I forgot Nightwish!! The icon of heavymetal teenagers.

-aRZi-
Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:11

Felipe.cl, on 19.1.2008, 05:51, said:
Amorphis is my favourite finnish band, the "Tales from the 1000 lakes", "Elegy" and the "Eclipse" albums are my favourites.

I like Amorhis too. ;) I just bought "Eclipse" and the new album "Silent waters". I think that new vocalist (Tomi Joutsen) is better than first singer Pasi Koskinen, altought Tomi Koivusaari was lead singer on first two albums. :)

Kold
Posted 20 January 2008 - 15:47

The only finnish band i have hear is:
Nightwish
Indica
Lordi
Sonata Arctica
The Rasmus
HIM

Only hear Nightwish, Indica, HIM and The Rasmus Live, Hoping to see Sonata Arctica at Wacken this year. If i can get off from work.

Jhonny
Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:28

children of bodom anyone?

new cd out soon. yay.

ethsgrl
Posted 22 January 2008 - 19:52

I saw The 69 Eyes opening for Within Temptation once, that was..fun :rolleyes:

Felipe.cl
Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:15

Jhonny, on 22.1.2008, 12:28, said:
children of bodom anyone?

Me, but this is a forum about a "rock-pop" band...

I am a metalhead, but not 24hrs at day ;)

Kold
Posted 23 January 2008 - 13:48

dont think this forum is about pop/rock, just other finnish band.

Agnés
Posted 26 January 2008 - 05:49

Wizzu, on 19.1.2008, 04:18, said:
I can't help but to compare SC to another recent new girl-band, Pintandwefall, who are of about the same age.

That's one of my favourites, and I had to make that clear - they are 20-21 years old. ;)

I love Children Of Bodom; that's almost only metal band that I can say I really listen to, although I really like metal, but just one, two song from every band. :D Other metal bands that I love is Turmion kätilöt, Norther and Velcra. Anyone knows them?

Felipe.cl
Posted 27 January 2008 - 05:20

So we will talk about finnish "metal" bands?
Ummm... Impaled Nazarene are my favourites, Behexen, Satanic Warmaster, And Oceans, KORPIKLAANI!!!, Finntroll, REVEREND BIZARRE!!!!! (how could I forget it!!), Catamenia, among others...

Thinking... Finland have a really good factory of metal bands...
Sonata Arctica will play here in Chile in february, but I don't care, I don't like heavy metal :)

Mango
Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:30

Felipe.cl, on 27.1.2008, 05:20, said:
KORPIKLAANI!!!, Finntroll

^^I love those!
Ajattara is good too and Turisas has some nice songs as well. I've not listened that very much though.
And I love Nightwish as much as Indica.

Jhonny
Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:17

Agnés, on 26.1.2008, 05:49, said:
That's one of my favourites, and I had to make that clear - they are 20-21 years old. ;)

I love Children Of Bodom; that's almost only metal band that I can say I really listen to, although I really like metal, but just one, two song from every band. :D Other metal bands that I love is Turmion kätilöt, Norther and Velcra. Anyone knows them?

Norther yep, the other no.

Caer
Posted 02 February 2008 - 21:27

Finnish bands I've listened to at some point:
Charon
Nightwish
Sonata Arctica
Stratovarius
Sentenced
and now Indica

Charon absolutely rocks everything. Love pretty much everything they do. I just wish they would one day play a gig in Sweden. Really nice and easy to pick up songs, especially love some slower ballads (though most of it's pretty slow in any case). Sorrowsong especially. Now, when the heck is that next album going to show up.

I used to listen to Sonata arctica a lot, seen them live twice. Their last album really didn't sit well with me though. Don't really know why.

Got into Senteced with their later albums where they crossed into something more like my musical taste. Saw them live once, but the sound setup was quite awful, so it ruined the experience a bit.

Jhonny
Posted 04 February 2008 - 16:22

Vad spelar stratovarius för nåt?

Kold
Posted 04 February 2008 - 18:53

My swedish is kind of bad, but from what i understand (you must correct me if i am wrong) you want to know what kind of music stratovarius plays. The answer is power metal, I dont know so many of their song, but what i have heard it is pretty good. Accually though they where swedish

nightcat114
Posted 26 May 2008 - 17:58

Finnish Bands/artists I listen too:
Nightwish
Indica
Tarja turunen

Oh and other bands from that part of europe:
Within temptation
Epica
and Lacuna Coil

pinkbabeh
Posted 02 June 2008 - 21:04

My fav finnish band is The Rasmus, I am also working on their Street Team which is fabulous. They are my # 1. Indica of course my # 2 . :P I also like Apocalyptica and Lordi and Antti Tuisku ( just a few songs ), and Zen Cafe. I really hate PMMP as finnish band, in my own opinion they can't really sing...
:unsure:

Palkin
Posted 04 June 2008 - 17:16

I'm not fan of Finnish popular bands, but I like early CoB, Nightwish (Tarja period), lately Sentenced... I'm also likes Viikate and Elakelaiset. Humppa is a serious thing! :rolleyes:

Valeriana
Posted 04 June 2008 - 23:36

I just saw HIM for free. It was a promotion concert for some cellphone company. :D
But actually I don't listen to that band very often. The concert was fun, because they played many songs you (or even I) know from the radio.

My most played Finnish bands/singers are (in that order):
- Nightwish
- Värttinä
- Sonata Arctica
- Amorphis
- Tarja
- Twilightning
- (Stratovarius)
- Evilion

And I've got 7 CDs of Sibelius. ^^

zthalis
Posted 06 February 2010 - 13:51

Can anybody recommend a good not so well known finnish pop-rock band? (I know it`s relative. Everybody considers different things as good :) ) Something in the style of Haloo Helsinki.

Recently I listened to some playlists of "suomi pop" on youtube. And truth be told, maybe except PMMP and some other name I forgot, I wasnt much impressed.

arij
Posted 07 February 2010 - 00:16

It's very difficult to find some unknown but try Pintandwefall that's punk and Mustajoutsen that's pop rock ( singer is my wife's workmate's doughter)

zthalis
Posted 08 February 2010 - 14:12

Thanks. I will give it a try.

klipklapen
Posted 08 February 2010 - 21:09

wow, Pintandwefall is one crazy but cool girls band!!! :D

Vortex
Posted 09 February 2010 - 21:04

there are so many good bands:

-Amberian Dawn
-Stratovarius
-Sonata Arctica
-Finntroll
-Korpiklaani
-Moonsorrow
-COB
-Mokoma-->great band!
-Stam1na-->another great band, three killer albums!
-Popeda
-Sara
-Apocalyptica
-Ensiferum
-Wintersun
-Warmen
-Manzana
-Catamenia
-Lullacry
-Norther
-Kalmah
-Impaled Nazarene

Wishmaster
Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:23

Thought I should mention it: new TAROT's album Gravity of Light is out!!!
For now only in Finland, but rest of the universe will see it's release in the folowing months.
So far i've heard two songs and I must say I can't wait to receive a whole album.
GO TAROT!
GO EPIC BEARD!
:ph34r:

snakes&ladders
Posted 15 June 2010 - 17:26

Bring on more feme Finnish bands everyone.............I love Lullacry:):)

liimatainen92
Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:34

there are a lot of finnish music that I hear:

INDICA,
Sonata Arctica,
Nightwish,
Korpiklaani,
Turisas,
HIM,
Children of Bodom,
Kotipelto,
Stratovarius,
Jenni Vartiainen (a bit different of everything I am mentioning, but I like her anyway),
Lordi,
Altaria (band of Jani Liimatainen ex-Sonata Arctica's guitarist),
Tarja Turunen,
Apocalyptica,
Ensiferum,
Finntroll,
Jarkko Ahola,
Northern Kings (band featuring Tony Kakko From Sonata Arctica, Marco Hietala from Nightwish, Jarkko Ahola and Juha-Pekka Leppäluoto from Charon),
Tarot (band leaded by Marco Hietala from Nightwish, his brother is on guitars),
Moonsorrow,
Norther,
Popeda, (original Kersantti Karoliina :) , although we all know Indica's version is better :P)
PMMP,
The Rasmus,
69 Eyes,
Wintersun,
Dingo (original Jokainen Amuu, later sang by Jenni Vartiainen)
Charon,
Teräsbetoni (leader is Jarkko Ahola, solo career I already mentioned)
Daniel Lioneye (band formed by musicians from HIM, but Ville Valo was on drums and Lily Lazer on vocals)

And that's all I heard along my life from Finland, I think I am not missing anyone, all great in their own way... I'm so in love with Finland, amazing music and country

Severus
Posted 23 July 2010 - 19:00

Finnish music I like most:

Nightwish
Amberian Dawn
Tarja
Indica, of course
HIM
Lordi

The last 2 (HIM, Lordi)I know badly, to tell the truth

Tarot is also nice

Can anybody recommend a good group, which sings in Finnish?

liimatainen92
Posted 23 July 2010 - 20:03

Severus, on 23 July 2010 - 19:00, said:
Finnish music I like most:

Nightwish
Amberian Dawn
Tarja
Indica, of course
HIM
Lordi

The last 2 (HIM, Lordi)I know badly, to tell the truth

Tarot is also nice

Can anybody recommend a good group, which sings in Finnish?

Try Korpiklaani, I really love them....You can also try Jenni Vartiainen althoough it is 100% pop...then you also have Popeda (old rock, the ones who wrote Kersantti Karoliina) and many others...
But mainly try Korpiklaani, you will find great stuff on their last album Karkelo

Severus
Posted 31 July 2010 - 23:31

liimatainen92

Korpiklaani is funny :P Especially their song vodka ;)
Finnish in their album does not at all resemble Finnish in Indica albums
Jonsu's voice is unique in some way, as I see... Though it is necessary to listen some close in style to Indica group with female vocals to have a definite answer

I forgot to mention Tears Of Magdalena

liimatainen92
Posted 01 August 2010 - 00:37

Severus, on 31 July 2010 - 23:31, said:
liimatainen92

Korpiklaani is funny :P Especially their song vodka ;)

Finnish in their album does not at all resemble Finnish in Indica albums
Jonsu's voice is unique in some way, as I see... Though it is necessary to listen some close in style to Indica group with female vocals to have a definite answer

I forgot to mention Tears Of Magdalena

Yeah actually they are funny, lol....especially in their english songs. But what I think that is awesome (and that's why I recommend it to people interested in Finland) is that in finnish songs they speak a lot about finnish mythology and those kind of things. For example Mettänpeiton Valtiaalle. They talk lot about spirits of the forest, gods and goddesses, tradition, etc....you really get to learn a lo about finnish culture if you hear their "serious" stuff. Of course they are far away from Indica's style, but kinda difficult to find someone close, they a re a bit unique. And with females vocals we may find various, especially metal and pop anyway, Tears of Magdalena would be one but anyway they are more kind of Gothic symphonic metal.

SadButTrue
Posted 17 September 2010 - 05:35

other Finnish bands
Nightwish
Apocalyptica
Sonata Arctica
Wintersun
Stratovarius
Tarja
Ensiferium
Turisas
Northen Kings
Ensiferium
Kivimetsän Druidi
Korpiklaani

Wishmaster
Posted 17 September 2010 - 20:25

SadButTrue, on 17 September 2010 - 05:35, said:
other Finnish bands
Nightwish
Apocalyptica
Sonata Arctica
Wintersun
Stratovarius
Tarja
Ensiferium
Turisas
Northen Kings
Ensiferium
Kivimetsän Druidi
Korpiklaani

Almost looks like I wrote this list :D

SadButTrue
Posted 18 September 2010 - 04:13

Haha, Finland is awesome, land of Metal :)) :))
just like the Valhalla of the known world B)

Pete's Angel
Posted 04 November 2010 - 19:21

I love Finnish bands mainly :

Iconcrash
The Rasmus
Nightwish
Indica
HIM
TikTak
Kwan
Killer
Mariko
Klymadia
Tarja
Waldo's People
Husky Rescue
Hanna Parkenin ( not sure on spelling )
Hay & Stone

Wizzu
Posted 04 November 2010 - 23:57

Pete's Angel, on 04 November 2010 - 19:21, said:
Iconcrash
Klymadia
Hanna Parkenin ( not sure on spelling )

Wow, first time I've seen someone abroad who likes Indica also mention Iconcrash. :) A few "former" bands too on that list, glad to see someone still listens to them.

The spellings: "Klamydia" (as in the disease..) and "Hanna Pakarinen"

Pete's Angel
Posted 07 November 2010 - 15:48

Wizzu, on 04 November 2010 - 21:57, said:
Wow, first time I've seen someone abroad who likes Indica also mention Iconcrash. :) A few "former" bands too on that list, glad to see someone still listens to them.

The spellings: "Klamydia" (as in the disease..) and "Hanna Pakarinen"

Yeah and to be honest they are really good and i forgot to say Lordi as well \o/ hehe and i love Finnish bands and even a band from Estonia atm and they are quite good and maybe some peeps on here might like them though.

Kiwi
Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:07

Other Finnish bands I like include Olympos Mons, Stratovarius, Celesty, Dreamtale, Terasbetoni, Turisas, Dame, Reckless Love, Deathlike Silence, Nightwish, Korpiklaani, Altaria...

Rauf
Posted 15 January 2012 - 18:55

and some more ...
Maija Vilkkumaa
Irina
Chisu
Johanna Kurkela
Suvi Teräsniska

Viltsu
Posted 16 January 2012 - 21:36

Francine
From my hometown. ^_^ Great and fun songs, Tainted Love and Goodbye forever being the "hits". Worth checking out if you ask me. You can listen to their songs here:
http://www.myspace.com/francinerock

Hanoi Rocks used to be awesome too. Their vocalist Michael Monroe has a new band now and a hit song in Finland called '78.

HooPee
Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:22

My favorites right now:

Nightwish
Sentenced
Swallow the Sun
Ghost Brigade
Insomnium
The Man-Eating Tree
Shape of Despair
KYPCK
Moonsorrow
Crimfall
Finntroll
Ensiferum
Tenhi
ShamRain
Johanna Kurkela
Stella
PMMP

Severus
Posted 10 February 2012 - 20:04

HooPee, on 17 January 2012 - 08:22, said:
My favorites right now:

KYPCK

I know only their video Stalin's Alley, which impressed me much

It just came to my mind, that Anne Nurmi is Finnish, so Lacrimosa is partially Finnish band, too. And I forgot to mention it.

lilly
Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:38

All other Finnish bands/singers (and many more) that I heard about till today somebody already mentioned on this topic, except Olivia Merilahti (The Dø, she was born in Paris, they sing in English, so even less partially Finish band than Lacrimosa). I think I posted once one of The Dø songs in NP topic. And Olivia Merilahti is also very good choice when you play Akinator.

Severus
Posted 15 June 2012 - 19:59

I remembered one more Finnish band - HB - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NXkKNdcJI8

Johanna Kurkela also made a good impression on me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foITNhYjTD4

Wishmaster
Posted 15 June 2012 - 20:24

Severus, on 15 June 2012 - 19:59, said:
I remembered one more Finnish band - HB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1vM-w8z6D0
Finns playing Christian metal?
I'll just say - pass. Not so much for lyrical thematic as for the sound which seems to be to generic for me.

Now, while I'm already replying here:

Nest Moonbow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXZXaY7Wh04
Atmospheric/folk-ish kind of music. Based around Finnish traditional instrument kantele (something like harp).

Surusilmä
Posted 04 September 2012 - 13:40

Oh, there are so many... Probably more than hundred.

"Dark art is not a devil thing, it's quite the opposite, it's a God thing. You truly find God on sadness, not on happiness. My darkest arts, my darkest thoughts are from heaven"
@ Nathalia Suellen (Lady Symphonia)

My youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Severus479

PostPosted: Mon 13. May 2013, 16:24 
True Indican
True Indican

PMMP announced today that they will go on an indefinite hiatus this autumn. The songwriters Jori Sjöroos and Paula Vesala feel that they can't write new PMMP style songs at the moment and don't know whether the band will ever come back. :(

PostPosted: Mon 13. May 2013, 17:38 

Yeah I just read it on Facebook and it really sucks, I just discovered this band a few months ago...

PostPosted: Thu 24. Oct 2013, 11:18 
Totally Bananas
Totally Bananas

Have a try with Maija Vilkkumaa then (also on 'stand-by' now, but still active). Her live CD is really rockin'.

And Laura Närhi is also worth a second listening/look - very energizing live performances.

PostPosted: Wed 4. Dec 2013, 21:36 
True Indican
True Indican

Just in case someone is interested, Johanna Kurkela's Christmas concert will be shown online tomorrow (on the 5th of December) at 16:00 UTC. However, I don't know if it's possible to watch it outside Finland.

EDIT: Fixed the link.

PostPosted: Thu 5. Dec 2013, 17:01 
Scholar Indican
Scholar Indican

Niko wrote:
Just in case someone is interested, Johanna Kurkela's Christmas concert will be shown online tomorrow (on the 5th of December) at 16:00 UTC.
Thanks for this, I had completely forgotten about it. Great music by a great performer.