Post subject: Nightwish
PostPosted: Tue 13. Aug 2013, 16:28 
Archivist
Archivist

Nightwish

Brief info

Gothic Symphonic Power Metal band from Finland

Members

Tuomas Holopainen (composer, lyricist, keyboards)
Emppu Vuorinen (guitar)
Jukka Nevalainen (drums)
Marco Hietala (bass, vocals)

Floor Jansen (lead vocals) (I hope she will become a regular member)

Past members

Tarja Turunen (lead vocals)
Sami Vänskä
Anette Olzon (lead vocals)

Studio albums

Angels Fall First - Released: November 1, 1997

Oceanborn - Released: December 7, 1998

Wishmaster - Released: May 19, 2000

Century Child - Released: May 24, 2002

Once - Released: June 7, 2004

Dark Passion Play - Released: September 26, 2007

Imaginaerum - Released: November 30, 2011

Live albums

From Wishes to Eternity - Released: April 2001

End of Innocence - Released: October 6, 2003

End of an Era - Released: June 1, 2006

Made in Hong Kong - Released: March 1, 2009

Soundtrack

Imaginaerum: The Score - Released: November 9, 2012

Compilation albums

Wishmastour 2000 - Released: December 11, 2000

Tales from the Elvenpath - Released: October 17, 2004

Bestwishes - Released: March 22, 2005

Highest Hopes: The Best of Nightwish - Released: September 17, 2005

The Sound of Nightwish Reborn - Released: September 2, 2008

Lokikirja - Released: 18 November 2009

Walking in the Air: The Greatest Ballads - Released: 27 May 2011

Singles

"The Carpenter"
''Angels Fall First''
"Sacrament of Wilderness"
''Oceanborn''
"Passion and the Opera"
"Walking in the Air"
"Sleeping Sun
(Four Ballads of the Eclipse)"
"The Kinslayer"
''Wishmaster''
"Deep Silent Complete"
"Ever Dream"
"Bless the Child"
"Nemo"
"Wish I Had an Angel"
"Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan"
"The Siren"
"Sleeping Sun"
''Highest Hopes''
"Eva"
"Amaranth"
"Erämaan Viimeinen" ;)
"Bye Bye Beautiful"
"The Islander"
"Storytime"
"The Crow, the Owl and the Dove"

There was a topic about the band at the former forum, but, unfortunately, I have not saved it...

As it was announced, NW with Floor Jansen gig at Wacken Open Air will be released on DVD and Blu-ray, which is really great! I long to hear Floor at the next NW album, too. ;)

Off-topic: I think it will nice if forumites will create topics about the bands they like...

"Dark art is not a devil thing, it's quite the opposite, it's a God thing. You truly find God on sadness, not on happiness. My darkest arts, my darkest thoughts are from heaven"
@ Nathalia Suellen (Lady Symphonia)

My youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Severus479

Post subject: Re: Nightwish
PostPosted: Tue 13. Aug 2013, 19:09 
Totally Bananas
Totally Bananas

I love Nightwish almost as much as I love Indica.
But to be honest, I don't like Floor Jansen. I definitely prefer Tarja or Anette and I hope they will find a new singer. I know Floor is really good but for me she shouldn't stay in NW (it's just my opinion ;))

My favorite album - Imaginaerum. The movie was great, too.

http://indicafans.pun.pl/

PostPosted: Tue 13. Aug 2013, 19:30 
Elder Indican
Elder Indican

Ashanee wrote:
to be honest, I don't like Floor Jansen. I definitely prefer Tarja or Anette and I hope they will find a new singer. I know Floor is really good but for me she shouldn't stay in NW (it's just my opinion ;))

I agree with this.

Like I stated in that other topic, I started listening to Indica because of Nightwish (Erämaan Viimeinen in particular), and now Indica is tied with Rammstein as my favorite band, so that's probably Nightwish's biggest contribution to my music library :roll:

I still really like the band, though, and listen to them on a regular basis. My favorite album is probably Dark Passion Play, and some of my favorite songs include Last Of The Wilds, The Islander, Sahara, FantasMic, Dead To The World and others.

PostPosted: Tue 13. Aug 2013, 20:51 

I have to say that I prefer Nightwish over Indica. I love Jonsus' songs and Lyrics but I still think Tuomas is the better songwriter. My favorite NW album is "Oceanborn". "Stargazers" and "The Pharao Sails to Orion" are just amazing...

PostPosted: Wed 14. Aug 2013, 01:55 
Administrator / Watchlord

I found Indica looking for new Nightwish songs on Youtube. I think by now, either my taste has changed, or I just listened to so much Nightwish that I got tired of it. I shifted to lighter power metal like Heavenly, Sonata Arctica, and Edenbridge.

(Deviantart)
Looking for something? Check out the Directory

PostPosted: Wed 14. Aug 2013, 19:17 
Young Indican
Young Indican

I love Nightwish. Along with Indica they are my favourite band. Imaginaerum and Oceanborn are my favourite albums, but Wishmaster is very close too. Escapist is my favourite song, but I really love all of their songs. I'm still not sure how I feel about Floor, she's a good singer and everything, but eh... =\ I'm pretty sure she'll join though since she's already said she wants to in several interviews, and they have quite a short amount of time to pick a new singer. I have a feeling though that if she stays she won't last... Perhaps it's because they can't manage to keep a singer, though. And I really really miss Anette.

PostPosted: Wed 14. Aug 2013, 19:22 

I had no preference between Anette and Tarja. They both had their strengths and weaknesses. Floor has a strong voice, but idk if I like her style. Maybe Marco should just sing everything for a while. Might be interesting.

(Deviantart)

PostPosted: Wed 14. Aug 2013, 19:35 
Young Indican
Young Indican

I love both Tarja and Anette. I didn't like the way Anette sung some of the older songs, but I think I'll always prefer Tarja's voice with those songs anyway. But on Imaginaerum Anette is amazing. And even though she can sing anything, I just don't really care for Floor's voice that much. I guess I'll just wait and see how it sounds if they make an album with her. I'm sure they will.

PostPosted: Wed 16. Oct 2013, 14:05 
Archivist
Archivist

Quote:
Ms Floor Jansen is a keeper.

Also, we will be a six-piece band from now on, as Mr. Troy Donockley (uilleann pipes, low whistles, vocals) will become a full-time member of NIGHTWISH.

Originally we were going to wait until 2014 to make a decision about the future line-up of the band, but the past year has clearly shown us that Floor and Troy are perfect matching pieces to our puzzle, and we are really grateful of the bond that has grown between all of us. We love you guys.

Tuomas
Marco
Jukka
Emppu

Commented vocalist Floor Jansen: "Words cannot describe what I feel! This union is beyond everything and I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to continue this amazing journey with my new brothers! Once I had a dream…and this is it!!!"

Piper/whistleman, added vocalist Troy Donockley: "`Imaginaerum World Tour´was a revelation to me and in that time, I became aware of a growing unity and then, finally, a transcendence of all the usual nonsense that affects bands. A beautiful process. And since the idea, the musical dream that is NIGHTWISH has been a part of me since before I was born, I am delighted to officially sail into uncharted waters with my brothers and sister. Wondrous scenes Ahoy! "

The new line-up can be seen on the live / tour documentary DVD »Showtime, Storytime«, released on November 29th.

Watch a brand new trailer, directed by Ville Lipiäinen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_czsLPig ... e=youtu.be

Preorder »Showtime, Storytime« at:
the official Nightwish Shop at: http://shop.nightwish.com/ (Shipping worldwide!)
or from http://smarturl.it/NIGHTWISHShowtime

http://www.nightwish.com | http://www.facebook.com/nightwish | http://www.nuclearblast.de/nightwish

so, Floor will be in NW, yeah? hooray!

"Dark art is not a devil thing, it's quite the opposite, it's a God thing. You truly find God on sadness, not on happiness. My darkest arts, my darkest thoughts are from heaven"

PostPosted: Mon 21. Oct 2013, 11:46 
Archivist
Archivist

official live video
phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Wed 13. Nov 2013, 17:24 
Teen Indican
Teen Indican

Actually nightwish is the reason, why I started to like indica. I heard "erämaan viimeinen". First I didn't like the song at all, but for some weird reason, (...maybe Jonsu's angelic voice) I just didn't manage to stop listening :D Then I started to listen to Indica-stuff, and was amused about the fact, that I found it quite good. I kept listening, and it started to sound better, and better every time, until I just had to buy "Kadonnut Puutarha". I also found some other fans from the internet, and now I'm totally hooked on Indica :)
Yeah, but about nightwish. I'm an obsessed fangirlie of theirs, and always will be.

PostPosted: Wed 13. Nov 2013, 17:31 

Most non-Finns find Indica through Nightwish.

(Deviantart)

PostPosted: Wed 13. Nov 2013, 17:42 
Young Indican
Young Indican

Watchlord wrote:
Most non-Finns find Indica through Nightwish.

Yeah, that seems to be true :D But since I am a weird Finn, I found Nightwish through Indica. Woot \o/ Of course I had heard about Nightwish, but never listened to any of their songs before I discovered Indica.

Joku kasvatti varsia taivaaseen
minun taimeni kestä ei kevääseen
se on lyhyt kuin päivä tammikuun

PostPosted: Thu 28. Nov 2013, 17:58 
Young Indican
Young Indican

Well, well. Look what I found; http://www.ear-music.net/en/news/detail ... 28th-2014/

What should we think about this...? :D

Joku kasvatti varsia taivaaseen
minun taimeni kestä ei kevääseen
se on lyhyt kuin päivä tammikuun

PostPosted: Thu 28. Nov 2013, 18:01 

"Shine" haha

I thought she only left because she was sick.

(Deviantart)

PostPosted: Thu 28. Nov 2013, 18:45 

Anette in the same label as Tarja, and her debut album's title is...,,Shine" ? Heh :D We will see which ,,Shine" is better. I really liked Floor's vershion of ,,Ghost Love Score" and i think that next Nightwish's album can be almost as good as ,,Once" (or I hope for that).

http://www.jonsu-indicaband.blogspot.com - 1st Polish blog about INDICA/ 1. Polski blog o zespole INDICA
http://jonsuindicaoutfits.webs.com/ - The only fansite about Jonsu's outfits!/ Jedyna strona internetowa na temat strojów Jonsu!

PostPosted: Fri 29. Nov 2013, 21:15 
Totally Bananas
Totally Bananas

I like Floor. She can do the operatic stuff, and seems to be able to do the pop-oriented stuff Annette sang. That was my biggest complaint with Annette was that she couldn't perform the older material properly.

PostPosted: Sat 7. Feb 2015, 19:36 
Elder Indican
Elder Indican

So two new songs leaked early, Élan and the bonus track Sagan. To whom it may concern:

I've only heard the Radio version of Élan, which I suppose is shorter than the album version will be, or something. It has a very generic Nightwish sound, like something from Once, except with Troy's parts also there.

Sagan is not much better/different, though the keyboards on this one are somewhat reminiscent of the early albums, which is kinda interesting.

I'm not a fan of Floor Jansen, which I believe I've stated before, and these two songs certainly did nothing to change that opinion. She doesn't sound bad per se, but it simply feels like there's something missing in her singing, like it lacks a certain punch, if you will.

tl;dr The songs don't sound "bad" but they definitely sound boring; it doesn't feel like they made anything new; rather, like they perhaps recorded some unfinished material from the past several years. Make of that what you will.

Last edited by SBN on Sun 8. Feb 2015, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun 8. Feb 2015, 13:23 

I can't stand Floor...for a few reason I'd rather not say in a public forum.

As of now, I'm no longer a fan of Nightwish. Most of the stuff Tuomas has been putting out lately is stale. It seems like they no longer support Indica either (not like they are obligated to).

Most disturbing is how they treated one of my friends. Someone (either a page admin, Floor, or a band member) took a screenshot of a fan sharing a link to the leak on Facebook. This person was not the leaker, but still, Nightwish shared her picture on the Nightwish and Floor Facebook pages. Because of this, my friend is receiving death threats.

I was shocked by how immature and irresponsibly Nightwish acted about a low quality single being leaked. Instead of removing the picture, they just keep making posts defending their whining.

(Deviantart)

PostPosted: Sun 8. Feb 2015, 18:03 

yes I know what you mean. I also feel that Tuomas is doing the same thing all over again these past years. I will still buy the new album because I haven't given up hope completely yet but I'm not very enthusiastic...

Quote:
Most disturbing is how they treated one of my friends. Someone (either a page admin, Floor, or a band member) took a screenshot of a fan sharing a link to the leak on Facebook. This person was not the leaker, but still, Nightwish shared her picture on the Nightwish and Floor Facebook pages. Because of this, my friend is receiving death threats.

I was shocked by how immature and irresponsibly Nightwish acted about a low quality single being leaked. Instead of removing the picture, they just keep making posts defending their whining.

Well, yes that's another thing. They could have just ignored the wohle thing. It's not like this leak endangers their sales or anything...

And it's also somewhat annoying that they can't seem to keep their singer in the band.

PostPosted: Sun 8. Feb 2015, 18:31 

Indicana Jones wrote:
And it's also somewhat annoying that they can't seem to keep their singer in the band.

Aaaactually, Tuomas just keeps firing people to my knowledge. Anette was fired for getting sick.

(Deviantart)

PostPosted: Sun 8. Feb 2015, 22:14 

I heard that too but I don't know how reliable those theories are. It's the same as with Tarja: Nobody outside the band really knows anything for sure.