It is currently Wed 18. Oct 2017, 16:28

All times are UTC

Post subject: Finnish Online Lessons
PostPosted: Mon 21. Oct 2013, 16:47 
Teen Indican
Teen Indican

I know there is already a thread about learning finnish, but I thought, I'd organise my own course, so that you could learn from a native Finnish speaker, because I know just how hard it is to learn a new language (Dutch in my case) without someone guiding you. I will be going throught the grammar, vocabulary, some basic phrases, pronnouncing, and slang. The last one is also important in Finnish, because you won't find a real Finn, who speaks Finnish exactly the way you learn from books. I hope you'll enjoy my lessons, and good luck with learning, because after all Finnish is one of the most difficult languages to speak.

PostPosted: Mon 21. Oct 2013, 21:01 

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to it... :)

PostPosted: Tue 22. Oct 2013, 16:28 
Teen Indican
Teen Indican

Lesson 1. Pronnouncing

If there is one easy thing in learning Finnish, it's definately the easy pronnounciation of the words. Everything is simply spoken exactly as written. First we have to learn the alphabets in finnish. They are little bit different from English ones, but quick to learn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMmnevtp42s

This video shows how to pronnounce finnish letters. First I thought, I'd write down some examples and try to explain by that, but it's probably easier for you to learn by audio examples, so I searched for a video with them and this was the best one available. But we have to focus on couple of letters on that video, because the video doesn't tell how to pronnounce them.

Å ="ruotsalainen oo" (swedish O-letter). Ruotsalainen oo is only it's name, and it's pronnounced exatly the same way as the normal Finnish O-letter. The reason, why it is there is, that Swedish is Finland's second official language. You are NEVER gonna find it from any finnish word (not even on those, that have Swedish origin), if you find, someone is trying to fool you, or making fun of Swedish people.

W ="tuplavee" (double V-letter). You're not gonna find this one either much. It only appeals, when someone is trying try to make some word look old, or in some words, that have their origin in English. The pronnounciation it almost the same as regular V, but it's a bit richer and fuller.

So how to pronnounce words?
There is no different rules like "what happens, when some specific letters are next to each other". Everything is pronnounced as written. In the video the letters were long, so when you speak, if there is only one letter, it's half as long. In a word all letters are equally as long, so when you want to make some sound longer, you have to put another one after it. For example:
mato=worm
matto=carpet

Google translator will help you, if you don't know how to pronnounce some specific word. Here is some basic words you can start with:

Suomi=Finland
on=is
paras=(the) best
maa=country
ikinä=ever

Okay just kidding :D but you know, what I mean. You would get good practice by taking some indica-lyrics and trying to speak the words in them. Here is some words a real Finn would use quite often, atleast, if we stick to the stereotypes:

kossu= Koskenkorva vodka
sossu= unemploiment office (sorry for spelling mistakes)
talvi= winter
perkele=Finnish sweareword meaning devil
vittu= another Finnish sweareword...
loma= holiday
kalja = beer

Hope you had fun time with this first lesson. Atleast I laughed my ass off, when writing the word-examples. Next time we are gonna really get into SERIOUS learning instead of me joking about the stereotypes. On the lesson 2 I'm teaching some basic phrases to intruduce yourself and also the numbers.
I'm trying to make these lessons atleast once a week, but I'm probably gonna update them way more often, because it's fun.

PostPosted: Thu 24. Oct 2013, 16:59 
Teen Indican
Teen Indican

Lesson 2.1 Some basic phrases (and numbers)

So now, you've (hopefully) learned, how to pronounce Finnish. We're gonna get some good use for that skill soon, because on this lesson you will learn some basic phrases, that I hope you will find useful.

Basics:
Minä olen ___ = I am ____
Olen (your age)-vuotias = I am (your age) years old
Kiitos = Thank You
Miten menee? = How Are you?
Ihan hyvin kiitos = I'm fine thank you.
Entä sinä? = What about you?
Mitä teet työksesi? = What do you do for living/What's your job?
Anteeksi = Sorry
Hei/Moi = Hello

In emergencies:
Apua! = Help!
Kutsukaa poliisi = Call the police
Kutsukaa ambulanssi = Call the ambulance
Kutsukaa Paloauto = Call the firemen
Sattuuko? = Does it hurt?
Autoni/Lompakkoni/Käsilaukkuni/Kännykkäni on varastettu = My car/purse/handbag/phone has been stolen.

Shopping:
Kuinka paljon se maksaa? = How much does that cost?
Saisinko hieman alennusta = Could I get some discount?
Missä sovituskoppi on? = Where is the dressingroom?
Otan sen! = I'll take it!

School/Work:
Milloin meillä on koe? = When we will have a test?
Mitä tuli läksyksi? = What did we get for homework?
Koska pääset töistä/koulusta? = When will you get home from school/work?

Numbers(numerot):
yksi = 1
kaksi = 2
kolme = 3
neljä = 4
viisi = 5
kuusi = 6
seitsemän = 7
kahdeksan = 8
yhdeksän = 9
kymmenen = 10
yksitoista = 11
kaksitoista = 12
kolmetoista = 13
neljätoista = 14
viisitoista = 15
kuusitoista = 16
seitsemäntoista = 17
kahdeksantosta = 18
yhdeksäntoista = 19
kaksikymmentä = 20

I will teach the next numbers on the next lesson, because currently I don't have time.