It is currently Mon 25. Sep 2017, 20:43

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Thu 23. Jan 2014, 22:27 
True Indican
True Indican

I think I will go for "Akvaario" only and let "Shine" shine somewhere else ^.^
The samples sound wonderful, even "A definite maybe" sounds good in finnish.
This...really brightened my day :)

Yotube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/yinx88

PostPosted: Sat 25. Jan 2014, 08:33 
Teen Indican
Teen Indican

Now that I've listened the whole Finnish album, I have to say, that it was better, than I expected. I really liked all the beautiful piano-melodies, and even though the lyrics are not so "Indican", they still are deep, and touch me. And what I'm really glad about is, that they included the acoustic version of älä kanna pelkoa to the album, because it's SO much better, than the single-version.

PostPosted: Sat 25. Jan 2014, 20:29 
Young Indican
Young Indican

I've listened Akvaario through few times now, and I agree with Miss_Anna, it was better than I expected. But still... I can't really say that I like it. The melodies are beautiful, but the lyrics (though some are very touching) and the "general sound", in my opinion, are mostly too mainstream (Savuton & Onneton probably being the worst one). But overall the album is ok, it just takes some time to get used to the new style :)

Gotta get Shine from somewhere soon. I really look forward to hear all the lyrics in English!

Joku kasvatti varsia taivaaseen
minun taimeni kestä ei kevääseen
se on lyhyt kuin päivä tammikuun

PostPosted: Sat 25. Jan 2014, 22:09 
Scholar Indican
Scholar Indican

I'm extremely ambivalent about both albums, although that's not unexpected after just a few listenings. It seems that pretty much every other listening makes me think that something may yet come of these albums, while every other leaves me in hopeless despair. On the bright side I don't hear the dreaded overproduction/mainstreamness, and I think Jonsu sounds very good on average and spectacular at best. However, that's worth squat if the compositions don't prove up to snuff, but determining that takes longer. The albums have some very potential songs - especially Tuuliajolla, Mountain Made of Stone and Älä Kanna Pelkoa - but so had Valoissa.

PostPosted: Sun 26. Jan 2014, 00:16 

Didn't Jonsu say Shine/Akvaario would be a happy album? I think most of it sounds pretty sad. Not to say that that's necessarily a bad thing, I'm just wondering...

PostPosted: Sun 26. Jan 2014, 18:02 

There will be a ,,Shine" LP, out on 21.02 http://www.nuclearblast.de/en/products/ ... shine.html

http://www.jonsu-indicaband.blogspot.com - 1st Polish blog about INDICA/ 1. Polski blog o zespole INDICA
http://jonsuindicaoutfits.webs.com/ - The only fansite about Jonsu's outfits!/ Jedyna strona internetowa na temat strojów Jonsu!

PostPosted: Tue 28. Jan 2014, 20:14 
Young Indican
Young Indican

Listened to Shine and I really like it. War Child, Mountain Made Of Stone, Hush Now Baby, and Humming Bird are my favourites.

PostPosted: Wed 29. Jan 2014, 21:54 
Teased
Teased

My first feelings are positive (expectations were high) mostly because it has a few really great songs. These are Behind the Walls and Hush Now Baby. I'm liking Mountain Made of Stone and A Definite Maybe a lot as well.

Behind the Walls is at the moment my favourite Indica song. :)

PostPosted: Thu 30. Jan 2014, 19:05 

"Hush now Baby" is beautiful. It's probaby the cheesiest song on the album but I love it.^^ And It seems to be a "Love it or hate it" song: Judging from the reactions I've read so far, there doesn't seem to be much in between...

Other favs at the moment are "War Child", "A Definite Maybe" and "Goodbye to Berlin".

PostPosted: Fri 31. Jan 2014, 01:18 
Archivist
Archivist

I really like the album. I mean Shine, I have not listened to Akvaario yet. After Good-Bye to Berlin I was much afraid, but it just turned out to be the only song I do not like... Well, this album has so much charm, and it is really Indica-nish. I do not know why Jonsu called it poppy, it is not, with some exceptions. It is not metal or rocky, but it is not poppy either… I would say it is classical in some way, and it is still mysterious like other albums. I agree with Indicana Jones, it is not happy, but sad (mostly). Mountain Made of Stone is the best song. On this album I like intros of the songs and Jonsu’s singing is … undescribable. Much better than on A Way Away (I like her singing on AWA, too, but here it is better). On Shine Jonsu’s vocals are so mild, tender, but still I lack words…

off-topic. Sorry, guys, I am not active now and will not be for some time, because of poltical events in my country, if you watch Euronews or other news programme, you know what I mean. After the fall of ruling regime in Ukraine I hope I’ ll be active as before. EDIT: my participation in political event is not very much, but it takes all my attention

"Dark art is not a devil thing, it's quite the opposite, it's a God thing. You truly find God on sadness, not on happiness. My darkest arts, my darkest thoughts are from heaven"
@ Nathalia Suellen (Lady Symphonia)

My youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Severus479

PostPosted: Fri 31. Jan 2014, 12:17 
Teen Indican
Teen Indican

Indicana Jones wrote:
Didn't Jonsu say Shine/Akvaario would be a happy album? I think most of it sounds pretty sad. Not to say that that's necessarily a bad thing, I'm just wondering...

I think, that Jonsu tried to make it happier, but failed to get out of her melancholic song-writing style. I think it's a good thing.

PostPosted: Fri 31. Jan 2014, 17:12 
True Indican
True Indican

Now that I listened to "Akvaario" some times, I can say that I'm truly happy with the album :) It sounds like the old, the present, the new good Indica. Beautiful songs that set my imagination yet again on fire.
My favorites so far are "Sun oma", "Nirvanaan", "Tuuliajolla" (just LOVE this song soo much) and "Maailma loppuu". Apart from that I felt, that the album had a more ore less weird "curve" when it comes to fast/slow songs, starting with fast, energy-loaded songs but somehow drifting off in the end, to wake again to "Maailma loppuu".

Aaaaand I know it means a lot of work, but would someone be so kind as to translate the lyrics of Akvaario? Or at least some of them? Would be great :)

Yotube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/yinx88

PostPosted: Fri 31. Jan 2014, 18:55 
Young Indican
Young Indican

After listening Akvaario through at least twice a day during this week, I can finally say that I actually DO like it. The melodies are beautiful and Jonsu's voice is as beautiful as always, but some of the lyrics... I just can't deal with them, they're so not Indica-ish. The lyrics are always important to me, and these new ones being so different from earlier, it just doesn't seem right. "Tuule tuuli" is my favorite song, because, in my opinion, it sounds like Indica to the core; melody, singing style AND lyrics. :D

Moonchild, I'm willing to do at least some translation work. As you may remember, I have already translated "Älä kanna pelkoa" in this very same topic. Should a new topic be made just for the translations, or would it be okay to post them here?
Either way, I'll start translating some songs as soon as possible :)

Joku kasvatti varsia taivaaseen
minun taimeni kestä ei kevääseen
se on lyhyt kuin päivä tammikuun

PostPosted: Fri 31. Jan 2014, 18:57 
Scholar Indican
Scholar Indican

Some of my ambivalence about the albums has been replaced by a budding understanding. It just took some time, possibly due to my sheer overwhelming expectations and all the interviews.

This is not Indica reborn. Sure, there are many songs (on Akvaario) that are rather forthright in their lyrics. But I find about half the album to be the same old Indica both lyric-wise and otherwise. This is a nice balance.

While I don't really care for lyrics one way or the other, Jonsu seems to have completely excelled herself in a couple of songs in this regard. Combined with the usage of her magnificent voice, I think her vocal output is stronger than ever. And the chorus of Tuule Tuuli is the most beautiful, poetic thing she's ever written. Pure genius.

Not to sound too positive, I think the compositions are a far cry from Indica's golden days. The albums are missing the truly spectacular songs, the kind that used to set Indica apart (in all due honesty, it's also possible the songs require more time). Realistically speaking this is not very surprising, but it's disappointing all the same. If it wasn't for Jonsu's unique voice, I think any number of bands could've made albums like these. However, the final truth won't be clear until the gigs begin. 3 songs have emerged above the rest: Älä Kanna Pelkoa, Tuuliajolla and Tuule Tuuli.

Moonchild wrote:
Aaaaand I know it means a lot of work, but would someone be so kind as to translate the lyrics of Akvaario? Or at least some of them? Would be great :)
I actually had a hankering for doing this for a couple of days. However, for obvious reasons I had decided to start with Tuule Tuuli. It was not a good choice; I couldn't bring myself to do it in a way that did not fully respect the original, so after a while I basically had to give up because nothing I came up with was good enough. Maybe I'll try something less ambitious next.

@tuulisusi: there is the old topic for English translations, but it's more of a listing and extremely long already. It's best to make a new topic to allow for the discussion that is bound to follow.

PostPosted: Fri 31. Jan 2014, 21:38 
Insane
Insane

There is a simple explanation why Jonsu said that the new album is happier than earliers; there is only one song on both albums that tells about death, on the scale of Indica they are happy albums. Seriously I love both albums alot. Somewhere it's said that's elevator music but it's not true. I thought that I listen to Akvaario/Shine and same time watch snooker on TV but I couldn't focus on snooker.

PostPosted: Thu 6. Feb 2014, 07:20 
Obsessed
Obsessed

I've just listened to Shine, (save Akvaario for later). First of all everything is better than I expected. Jonsu's voice is far beyond perfect. The music is light and beautiful. I feel it's lack of "dark romantic" and "mystic" in compare with the old Indica, but that's not a big problem.
Now I'll listen to Akvaario.

I'll bleed forever.

PostPosted: Thu 6. Feb 2014, 15:09 
Teen Indican
Teen Indican

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6a-BAqWJRU

Shine Track by track (part 1)

PostPosted: Tue 1. Apr 2014, 16:30 
Scholar Indican
Scholar Indican

I'm ready to render my final judgement. It's been over 2 months since the albums came out, and any miracles they were gonna work on me would've come to pass by now. It's possible there will be long-term developments, but judging albums based on those is inadvertently dishonest.

Akvaario/Shine are both failures. The best description I can think of for them is "kinda nice". That is acceptable for albums that come from pointless nobodies with no expectations attached, but it is not enough from Indica. If it didn't say Indica on the album covers, I probably would've forgotten about the existence of these albums already. After 32 months of anticipation that's more than a little disappointing.

The best songs make me think the albums were "born old". What I mean is, there was never an initial period of "falling in love", of lust, of near-addiction to any of the songs. Even at the best of times the quality of the songs has been heavily bound to my then emotional state; they have never possessed the power to generate the right mood by themselves. That power is pretty much the best measure for song quality, even though it always degenerates over time. I can hardly wrap my head around the fact that Indica actually made 2 albums (well, 1 album + translations) without a single song possessing a shred of this power. I used to think Valoissa was rock bottom for this band, but not anymore.

Sure, there are some rather nice songs. Tuule Tuuli, Kultaan Kuun, Älä Kanna Pelkoa and Tuuliajolla (+their Shine counterparts) would be appreciated on most albums. There are only a couple of useless songs, namely Maailma Loppuu and SOVY. These things combined make Akvaario/Shine an ode to mediocrity. If this truly is the artistic vision of Jonsu/Indica these days, then I fear I'm in the wrong place both here and on the gigs.

PostPosted: Wed 10. Dec 2014, 18:51 

The German music website laut.de published a list of the (in their opinion) 25 worst Albums 2014. "Shine" is in that list...

http://www.laut.de/News/Worst-of-2014-D ... 46/Seite-2

PostPosted: Thu 11. Dec 2014, 00:47 
Elder Indican
Elder Indican

Just realised I actually meant to write an opinion on the albums some time ago, but I must have gotten sidetracked at the time and just forgot about it. Well, it's been almost a year now, so I've had time to get closely acquainted with the songs, for better or worse (also, I'm procrastinating on doing a project for college, so here goes).

The albums are a mixed bag, basically. They're definitely more "radio-friendly", lyrically (not that this usually matters to me, as I rarely hold any song lyrics in high regard, but a change is definitely noticeable, moreso on Shine, I'd say) and musically (I don't just mean the style, but also literally - not many of the songs cross the 4 minute mark, and none of them are even near 5 minutes long). While these traits aren't inherently bad, they do make for an interesting, so to say, turn from the previous few releases (one of which, Kadonnut Puutarha, is my all-time favorite, so I supposed I'm a bit biased. Then again, I'm posting an opinion, not a review, so I suppose that's sort of the point). Here's my short, track-by-track point of view (through unsavory methods I'm not entirely proud of, I've gotten access to the bonus tracks, so those will be mentioned as well):

Älä Kanna Pelkoa - Well, I've gotten used to it over the year, at least. I didn't like it one bit when it first came out, and still don't much care for it, or Missing; it's the first of several songs which evokes my biggest gripe of the album: Jonsu's vocals. The very reason I started listening to the band (and the fact Jonsu sang in Finnish, Erämaan Viimeinen being my first touch with any of her work, but mostly the vocals), and yet, this time around, to me it just sounds unnatural, unappealing, bland even; something hints of which were present on some parts of A Way Away, but is worryingly present on much more of this album than it should be. It's also puzzling, as the piano/acoustic version of the song blows the other two versions out of the water, not only musically (the piano outro, which is nice, but felt out of place on Missing fits perfectly here) but also vocally.

Liian Kaunis Vailla Suuntaa - Functionally the same as ÄKP above; neither of the versions particularly stand out in any area, and the vocals feel uninsipred. In fact, I think they even sound a bit better in a few instances on A Definite Maybe, mostly in the chorus. Again, I've gotten used to it, like with ÄKP, but "getting used to" a song is not a good for thing any song, especially not with Indica.

Suunta On Vain Ylöspäin - Now, this one's interesting. I actually really like the Finnish version, even though it's a bit generic sounding overall, but I downright hate Goodbye To Berlin. It's just that much of a difference. Maybe it's the lyrics. Maybe it's the slightly differently sounding vocals. Whatever the reason, this is definitely a polarising track for me.

Savuton Ja Onneton - To me, this feels like one of the weakest tracks on the album, and Run Run is no different. The thing is, I find it's one of the better sounding musical pieces on the album, hindered completely by just how bored Jonsu sounds while singing. I realise the band probably felt like they wanted to do something different compared to the previous few years, maybe more along the lines of their early work, but a number of times the vocals feel forced (much like they were on instances in A Way Away, though not necessarily in the same direction), and when it ends up clashing with an otherwise interesting sounding song, it's just a shame.

Sun Oma - I liked Mountain Made Of Stone even when first hearing it on that fan-made live recording from Mexico, and when the studio versions rolled around, I was only pleased with the songs further. Both versions sound great, and I only marginally prefer Sun Oma, solely for being in Finnish. Also, I think it was an interesting decision to have Mountain Made Of Stone be the opening song on Shine; It's the closest thing to a Valoissa/A Way Away-sounding song on the album(s), which makes for an easier transition for those familiar with (and fond of) the two titles, but causes a bit of a mood whiplash when listening to the rest of the album.

Nirvanaan - Again, an interesting example of how the different language versions make a big difference. While I don't quite hate Uncovered, I do think it's one of the least impressive Shine songs, what with being in English and all (I do like the added/altered guitar track towards the end of the song, though). Now, Nirvanaan is one of those things, be they songs, movies, games, anything really, that aren't particularly impressive but aren't generic either, and just have an unidentifiable likability to them, and that's sort of why I really, really, really like this as an Indica song, as my first ever reaction to Jonsu's voice and Indica in general was simply "Why do I like this?"; I guess it's maybe just a weird sort of nostalgia.

Tuuliajolla - Now, while I have liked the song from the start, I've found myself listening to it quite frequently during the past few weeks, for reasons unknown. To me, this track has quickly become as identifiable with Indica as much as any of the older songs. Sounds very relaxing, but just upbeat enough. I think it's such a shame Humming Bird was omitted from the regular edition of the album (then again, I suppose it makes for good bait to grab a bit extra cash, as it's definitely a song worth getting).

Kultaan Kuun - And then, there's this. Yet another very nice sounding composition (I simply love the intro), dragged down by possibly the dullest-sounding vocals Jonsu ever recorded, with the chorus and bridge in the second half being particularly jarring. The same applies to Here And Now, unfortunately.

Tuule Tuuli - And then, there's this. Like I said with Äla Kanna Pelkoa, it's just puzzling, hearing (among other things) on the album some of the most mediocre work the band has ever put out, only to run into this, both with Tuule Tuuli and just slightly less so with Hush Now Baby; one of the most beautiful sounding song(s) not merely on these two albums, but in the entire discography. Maybe it's just me, but I find it has sort of a Rannalla-like vibe, my favorite song from Tuuliset Tienoot, so maybe that's part of why I'm so drawn to the track. Like with Tuuliajolla, this has, to me at least, quickly become an Indica song among (and for quite a few, even above) the rank of their older stuff.

Maailma Loppuu - A likeable, if short track. Both A Kid In The Playground and this are fairly upbeat, and overall nice-sounding (although the bridge in the second half is just a bit weaker than the rest of the song). The song definitely sounds like something that wouldn't be out of place on the first two albums, although the guitar solo is more newer-sounding, and the two styles blend quite nicely, I think.

Onnen Syy - So beautiful and dreamy. Loved it since the first time I heard it, and it's without a doubt my favorite track off either of the albums, and one of my favorite Indica tracks in general. Lucid is slightly hindered with the English lyrics and the whole microphone-echo or whatever it's called effect dispersed throughout the song (present in several songs on Shine, but most noticeable and least needed here). Even so, would've sounded nicely on the regular album, but on the other hand, it could only be a closing song, and War Child does that perfectly fine on its own.

Akvaario - I really like all the previous piano-only songs, and this one definitely delivers. I'd say I like this version better than Behind The Walls, although only slightly, as Behind The Walls is definitely one of the better sounding Shine songs; It is just the kind of Indica I'm used to, while sounding just new enough, and it helps form a very nice sounding final third of the album.

War Child - Well, since the regular edition of the album got shafted out of Lucid, this is basically the next best thing. I really wish there was a Finnish version of this, Behind The Walls at least got a piano version. This song is so lovely and a bit melancholy-sounding, definitely an Indica-style album closer, and a very worthy song in its own right.

So that's basically it. I honestly had low expectations when I first heard those leaked Akvaario samples, and later when ÄKP and A Definite Maybe saw the light of day, but it's precisely because of those low expectations that the albums were able to surprise me pleasantly (whether that's a good thing or not is up for debate); roughly 70% of Akvaario, bonus tracks included, is actually pretty good. Shine... less so. I rarely listen to any of it anymore, and now mostly just choose not to acknowledge either itself or A Way Away as legitimate albums (though both of them do have some really nice songs).

Nevertheless, Akvaario is simply, in my opinion, not that good of an album, at least not by Indica standards. It has successfully dethroned Tuuliset Tienoot as my least favorite album, while Kadonnut Puutarha still reigns supreme in its own domain. Though what the future holds is anybody's guess.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7