All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue 12. Mar 2013, 13:59 
Archivist
Archivist

Indica's Popularity
Indica Forum -> Indica -> Indica's Popularity

swanheart
Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:05

Hi! I'm from Spain and I'd like to ask Finnish fans about how big Indica are up there in Finland... I mean, are they known by more or less everyone or are they an alternative band which few people know about?

I'd also like to ask about their album's position in the charts. I know VALOISSA is currently at number 3, and I suppose that's very good, but I'd also like to hear about the previous album's success.

Oh! And one more thing. Do their songs appear on the normal radio??

Thanks!

DrDress
Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:15

Hmm, those are good questions. I'm curious too

escapist
Posted 01 October 2008 - 13:48

being from the united states, I, myself, am curious about this too. I was at the tavastia gig this past saturday and actually asked this same question to one finnish guy who was standing next to me. he basically said that indica is definitely not mainstream and that because of their lyric content (described by him as "romantic" and "fairytale-like"), an "outsider" who doesn't give them a proper listen might write them off as "children's music". I, myself, find the music powerful and beautiful, and the lyrics I have translated are creative, elegant, and enchanting.

I'd really like to know how other finnish fans feel about this, and how they think indica is viewed by the general public in Finland.

swanheart
Posted 01 October 2008 - 13:53

"Children's music"? That's something I never thought I'd hear about Indica's music!! I mean...why?
Their lyrics have beautiful images and make references to forests and mystical things, but I don't find that childish at all...

Wizzu
Posted 01 October 2008 - 14:51

I've written about this in the past, I think, but can't be bothered to go look up the old threads where it might appear, so I'll write again. Just be aware that if you read through all the content in the English section might you find earlier discussions about this same thing.

About the popularity, I guess it's fair to say that Indica are popular. I mean, their first album sold platinum (that's over 30 thousand in Finland) and second album sold gold (over 15 thousand). The third album didn't do that well in the charts and I have no idea of the sales. And right now we're of course waiting to see what happens with the fourth album.

As you can tell from the figures, Indica were something of a hit when they first appeared, with especially the songs Ikuinen virta (1st album) and Vuorien taa (2nd album) being pretty big hits on the radio. Other songs that you could hear there (or could in the past anyway) were Scarlett, Linnansa vanki and now both Pahinta tänään and maybe Valoissa too are circulated on the playlists. I don't listen much to radio myself, but you can tell these things from just looking at the request charts, especially the YleX Himotuimmat list is quite influential or maybe I can say "prestigious". Right now I think you'd be most likely to hear either Ikuinen virta or Pahinta tänään. Maybe someone Finnish who listens to the radio more than I do can tell us more?

Now, when a band has had multiple hits and has sold platinum and gold, and has just released a fourth album, it's already quite a track record. You can't call such a band "not popular". The challenge for Indica is to keep things going and not be a fad of two albums, as especially for the third album it seemed interest was waning and the concert venues tended to be a bit on the empty side. My hope is of course that Valoissa will change all that, but hope has very little to do with what will happen, only time will tell (and well, lots of hard work should have an impact too).

Then to talk a bit about the image the band has... For some reason all-girl bands in Finland have a bit of a credibility problem. They're considered to be "light", as in maybe interesting (and certainly pretty) and enjoyable, but nothing to be taken seriously. The stereotypical image is that only young teenage girls get into their music and ask for the albums for birthday/Christmas presents. This even though there's been at least 3 successful all-girl bands in the last 10 years (biggest being Tiktak who stopped a year ago, then also Nerdee and of course Indica). And many more being around right now, more than I can count or list right now.

I don't know where the image comes, perhaps it started with Tiktak who were about 13 or so when they started, very young girls themselves. So of course girls their age liked them as well. They got a couple of big hits early and actually kept on making hits for their entire almost-10-years of career as a band, and judging by the audience from the concerts in the last few years, it was anything but young girls. For example, something what must've been nearly 10000 festival-goers at the Ruisrock 2005 festival big stage. So even though Tiktak got past the "music for small girls" image, at least judging by their concert audiences if not entirely in their album reviews, they started this trend for the all-girl band image.

I wrote so much about Tiktak because even though their music is nothing alike, Indica can't avoid comparisons to Tiktak simply because they are from the same place, the North Helsinki Band School. They even have the same manager who "discovered" (if that can be said) them both and got both bands their record deal. This link is no longer brought up much at all because Indica are so well established and Tiktah has called it quits, but maybe it still affects things on the image level.

I don't know how all-girl bands are viewed in other countries (but it would be interesting to hear!), do they have this similar image of being only suitable music for teenage girls? Or is this something that happens only in Finland?

One thing I should write about is that in Finland there's the word "satu" which can't exactly be translated, but the closest thing is "fairytale", others coule be "story" or just "tale". The word has a very strong connotation to "children's stories", so if someone says "satu" it immediately makes you think about early childhood stories or tales told/read to kids. Kind of like Disney maybe in English. Even though not all fairytales and certainly not all "satu" are for (only) children. And Indica and satu are quite strongly linked. I like to describe their music myself as "satupoppia", or "fairytale pop".

Even though I can't really say where the image issue comes from, it's very real. I can read it in the music album reviews (one Finnish album review for Kadonnut puutarha I think, concluded with "like Lordi, Indica is music aimed for children"). And it can be heard in the comments people write here in the forum, writing about what happened when they told their friends or acquintances that they like Indica. It was very clear in the reactions to Indica supporting Nigthwish, they got a much better reaction in the other Nordic countries (where they had a fresh start) than they did in Finland (where people already had preconceptions about them). And possibly, it also shows up when people are not so interested in hearing or seeing the band live, because it's a "children's band".

Valoissa is again a very different album and maybe it can change things for Indica on both the record sales as well as the image. The link with Nightwish can nothing but help a lot on both fronts. Things certainly are very promising so far, getting the number #3 spot on the album charts is proof of that. (Today is wednesday so we'll find out today how it does this week, but I expect it to fall because new albums almost always do, unless they get massively popular like Metallica or something. The next questions are how long it can stay in the Top 10, and then after that, how long on the charts.)

doctor
Posted 01 October 2008 - 15:04

My general impression is that Indica is unfortunately a very little band with a very little fan group. Is known very well in helsinki but outside not many fans there.
There 2 groups of fans. 1 children ( 9-14 years) very sweet but this group is easy to move to different directions. Yesterday was indica ,today is someting else and tomorrow is a new group. 2. The hard core fans ( 18-50 years age) not many there. I have been to 4 gigs in different places in finland and I met the same people. I would say they are around 50-60 finnish, 2 danish,1 french,1 czech,1 english. That's it. My heart is bleeding to se these gigs in finnish country side where Indica plays this fantastic music and almost nobody there (except the custemers of the night club who comming to dance and drink not to hear indica)
Personally I am 40 years, married with a lovely wife and 3 children but as soon I have the chance to see them I do it because the music is great and the performance is excellent. For me is a quality of life.

Laba
Posted 01 October 2008 - 18:44

Here's some information about Indica's positions in the official album and singles charts. In Finnish only but luckily numbers are the same in every language using Latin alphabets...

Albums:

Ikuinen Virta (highest position 4)
http://ohjelmaopas.y...a/tuote?id=4847 http://yle.fi/vintti/yle.fi/pop/index.html

Tuuliset Tienoot (highest position 12)
http://ohjelmaopas.y...a/tuote?id=6173

Kadonnut Puutarha (highest position 8)
http://ohjelmaopas.y...a/tuote?id=7744

Valoissa (highest position 3)
http://ohjelmaopas.y...a/tuote?id=8926

Singles:

Scarlett (highest position 14)
http://ohjelmaopas.y...a/tuote?id=4558

Ikuinen Virta (highest position 8)
http://ohjelmaopas.y...a/tuote?id=4917

Vuorien Taa (highest position 5)
http://ohjelmaopas.y...a/tuote?id=6159

LINKS ARE PROBABLY DEAD, WHEN I GO BY THEM, IT REDIRECTS ME TO http://yle.fi/vintti/yle.fi/pop/index.html, WHERE THERE IS NO INFO ABOUT INDICA CHARTS POSITIONS

I think Vettä Vasten is the only commercially released single which did not chart. And even though Kadonnut Puutarha charted higher than Tuuliset Tienoot, the latter one has much more chart weeks. The first two albums were somewhat steady sellers but Kadonnut Puutarha fell down rapidly. Notably Valoissa has gained the highest chart position so far, let see how long it will stay up there.

Mirzku
Posted 01 October 2008 - 19:06

doctor, on 1.10.2008, 15:04, said:
I have been to 4 gigs in different places in finland and i met the same people. I would say they are around 50-60 finnish, 2 danish,1 french,1 czech,1 english. Thats it.

Excuse me, I have been just at one gig and I keep myself as a fan. But very many of the gigs are to over 18 year olds and I'm only 15. I don't have car because of my young age and my father or mother won't take me to gig because they don't like Indica very much. And I'm sure I am not the only one with those kind of problems. I hope you understand what I mean

nightcat114
Posted 01 October 2008 - 20:44

I know how you guys feel. I'm 22 and like Indica a lot, and I find their music interesting/relaxing (good for mellowing out). But I have big problem, I'm about on the other side of the world (united states), and I'm working a part time job and in school (college) so I don't have that much money.

But Hopefully one dayI 'll be able to see them live, not just on youtube.

jokuhulu
Posted 01 October 2008 - 21:26

Well, here's some random comments from a random Finnish person who has been listening to Indica for about a month. I was at the latest Tavastia gig too. I'm no expert on Finland's rock scene, so please correct me if I'm wrong about something.

I've gotten the impression that Indica is big enough in Finland to support the band members financially, so they don't have to have jobs in addition to the band. Since Finland isn't a huge market, being able to support oneself financially is a good indicator of whether a band is "established" or not, IMO.

From what other Finnish fans wrote on the Finnish side, I got the idea that the last gig at Tavastia was the first time Indica managed to fill Tavastia up. That would seem to indicate that Indica's popularity among adults in the capital region has been going up (slowly?). However Indica's ticket prices were among the cheapest in Tavastia's list of shows, I think.

I agree with the others who said that in Finland, Indica has an image of being a cute band for teenage girls who write poetry and think Nightwish is too heavy. I thought like this too a month or so ago, before pretty much accidentally seeing a few of Indica's videos on YouTube and becoming a fan. In Finland at least, I would say that a female rock artist cannot avoid having a certain kind of "rock credibility" problem when they begin their career.

Ikuinen Virta has sold platinum (=30 000+), Tuuliset Tienoot has sold gold (=15 000+). Kadonnut Puutarha hasn't sold gold in Finland as of yet, but it remains to be seen if Valoissa can reverse Indica's downward trend in CD sales. Personally I believe that having a connection with Nightwish will give them new listeners, so I predict that Valoissa will do better than Kadonnut Puutarha. I read some interview where Jonsu was asked what she thinks about every album selling less than the one before, and she said she doesn't care much.

In conclusion: IMO they're not "small" in Finland, but I wouldn't say they're "big" either. And outside Finland I guess they've been pretty much unknown until their association with Nightwish.

ethsgrl
Posted 01 October 2008 - 21:33

Wizzu, on 1.10.2008, 14:51, said:

I don't know how all-girl bands are viewed in other countries (but it would be interesting to hear!), do they have this similar image of being only suitable music for teenage girls? Or is this something that happens only in Finland?

well... I try to think about an all-girl band which has been taken seriously here but I can't see....
Mostly all-girl bands have all-made pop bands almost like french version of the spice girls..
The thing is that none of the french girls bands I know have never made such good music like Indica, they were/are not 'real band' some record company decided to make a band so they found some girls and put them together and gave them songs to sing...

swanheart
Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:01

I think Indica wouldn't have that "cute image" at all if it was popular in Spain, because here there's A LOT of music which, in my opinion, is simpler, more repetitive, sweeter, more easy-listening and with way simpler lyrics than Indica's.

I think the "problem" is that maybe in Finland people is too used to really heavy music, I don't know...

Indica rocks!

swanheart
Posted 04 October 2008 - 13:33

After that great 3rd position, does anyone know how "Valoissa" is doing in the charts this week?

Wizzu
Posted 05 October 2008 - 15:44

swanheart, on 4.10.2008, 13:33, said:
After that great 3rd position, does anyone know how "Valoissa" is doing in the charts this week?

It's at number 8, which I think is great since it stayed in the top 10.

Next week will be a challenge because currently two quite "big" names released albums, possibly Finland's #1 female artist Maija Vilkkumaa a new studio album, and Jonna Tervomaa (almost as popular) has a compilation album coming out. So those are pretty much guaranteed to go in the top 10 and push Valoissa further down. I don't know what else might've come out too..

DrDress
Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:03

I have a feeling that this show "Jackpot" (see the "Valoissa" thread) targets the average/middleclass finn, which means that the content is rather tailored so that represents the general feeling of the population (correct me I'm wrong).

I was wondering how the Indica challange was received by the participants of the show. And also what was likely the viewers respons. Was it like "who is that?! ", "oh no not Indica! ", "that a (fun / anoying / difficult ) challange" or what?

I guess this might illuminate the finnish people's feel about Indica.

PS. here's a chart update (chose: "draw graph"):

http://acharts.us/album/37867

doctor
Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:23

Good work drdress. You keep the forum alive

swanheart
Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:26

doctor, on 23.10.2008, 09:23, said:

I suppose we're missing loads of interviews and most of the Valoissa promo here in the English forum...oooh I wish I understood Finnish!!

FuFu
Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:30

hmm...maybe only for the finnish and the finnish speaking people the songs might seem "childish". Me as a german who only know about 4 Finnish words, I am very unprejudiced. i do not really understand the lyrics, but just klistening to the music is great. it is the same with english songs...sometimes they sing the biggest crap but its #1 in the charts...nevertheless i loike the music of indica very well...

now when i'm reading thorugh the translations, i don't see so much "childish things"... its more a kind of metaphorically and symbolized style...

swanheart
Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:39

FuFu, on 23.10.2008, 09:30, said:
hmm...maybe only for the finnish and the finnish speaking people the songs might seem "childish". Me as a german who only know about 4 Finnish words, I am very unprejudiced. i do not really understand the lyrics, but just klistening to the music is great. it is the same with english songs...sometimes they sing the biggest crap but its #1 in the charts...nevertheless i loike the music of indica very well...

now when i'm reading thorugh the translations, i don't see so much "childish things"... its more a kind of metaphorically and symbolized style...

yes, I assure you that there's nothing childish about Indica's lyrics, but they use a lot of metaphores about forests and nature and mystical things, so maybe stupid people think they're childish because of that

DrDress
Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:49

doctor, on 23.10.2008, 09:23, said:

Thanks! I'm struggling to get my "advanced member" degree

DrDress
Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:56

swanheart, on 23.10.2008, 09:26, said:
oooh I wish I understood Finnish!!

You said it! There is probably loads of answers in finnish. But I do appreiciate the finnish (or finnish talking) people who are willing to check in with and help us with our insatiable curiosity . Thanx to you all!

swanheart
Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:29

DrDress, on 23.10.2008, 09:56, said:
You said it! There is probably loads of answers in finnish. But I do appreiciate the finnish (or finnish talking) people who are willing to check in with and help us with our insatiable curiosity . Thanx to you all!

yeah, they're so kind! they also help to keep this forum going on

Wizzu
Posted 23 October 2008 - 14:36

DrDress, on 23.10.2008, 09:03, said:
I was wondering how the Indica challange was received by the participants of the show. And also what was likely the viewers respons. Was it like "who is that?! ", "oh no not Indica! ", "that a (fun / anoying / difficult ) challange" or what?

I don't think it was actually much in the forefront. The guy (the family's father) knew of the band but hadn't heard much of the music, but the focus of the show was in the challenge or learning the lyrics for 22 totally new songs. What band it was and how people felt about the music was taking a back seat, or rather, wasn't addressed much at all beyond the introduction. On the video footage you could see the man nodding along to the music though, and especially so in the studio during the testing time, but I'm not sure if that counts for much after one has listened to Indica for many hours every day in a week!

It was seen as a pretty tough challenge but I think all the ones they give in that show are not particularly easy... (Ok, so I've only seen that one episode.)

ME: MOST PROBABLY THIS VIDEO IS meant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2jyBFI0PmU

DrDress
Posted 23 October 2008 - 15:36

Wizzu, on 23.10.2008, 14:36, said:
What band it was and how people felt about the music was taking a back seat, or rather, wasn't addressed much at all beyond the introduction.

I guess that says a little as well: it's not something the general puplic really know or care about (their loss ). But I guess that was already mentioned a couple of time throughout this thread.

Wizzu
Posted 23 October 2008 - 22:59

DrDress, on 23.10.2008, 15:36, said:
I guess that says a little as well: it's not something the general puplic really know or care about (their loss ). But I guess that was already mentioned a couple of time throughout this thread.

Well, I don't know if it would've mattered much if it had been anything. They obviously had to pick something that a 30-something guy probably wouldn't know too well and something with Finnish lyrics, but otherwise I think it would've been exactly the same had it had been Nightwish or I don't know, Rasmus maybe. There's probably no artist that would be so popular (or so hated) that it would evoke many feelings in any random group of people, like those in a studio audience or in a random family.

swanheart
Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:42

I think "Valoissa" isn't in the charts anymore!! It's lasted there 6 weeks, just like "Kadonnut Puutarha"

DrDress
Posted 06 November 2008 - 14:20

you'r right . just yesterday it was still in, although it was "Biggest Free Faller"

http://acharts.us/fi...d_albums_top_40 DEAD LINK

swanheart
Posted 06 November 2008 - 14:26

DrDress, on 6.11.2008, 14:20, said:
you'r right . just yesterday it was still in, although it was "Biggest Free Faller"

http://acharts.us/fi...d_albums_top_40

High School Musical 3 Soundtrack?? Seriously, what's people thinking of!!

This world's mad...

Kold
Posted 06 November 2008 - 15:00

Did it at least sell more then Kadonnut Puutarha?

Wizzu
Posted 06 November 2008 - 17:28

Kold, on 6.11.2008, 15:00, said:
Did it at least sell more then Kadonnut Puutarha?

No sales figures anywhere that I've seen. Kadonnut puutarha was on the chart for 6 weeks, exactly same as Valoissa. Valoissa had maybe "a bit higher" positions but it's hard to say because these numbers are all so relative..

Pity there's no big hit from Indica right now, maybe there will be and that will boost the sales some more. I don't think Valoissa (the song) is getting much airplay anymore, or at least it's not on the Himotuimmat list, don't know about the other radio stations.

DrDress
Posted 06 November 2008 - 17:36

Wizzu, on 6.11.2008, 17:28, said:
No sales figures anywhere that I've seen. Kadonnut puutarha was on the chart for 6 weeks, exactly same as Valoissa. Valoissa had maybe "a bit higher" positions but it's hard to say because these numbers are all so relative..

Kadonnut puutarha peaked at nr 8 so Valoissa propably did a little better, but as you said these numbers are all relative.

Laba
Posted 06 November 2008 - 18:07

Maybe releasing another single (preferably a proper single with B-sides and stuff) would boost up the sales of Valoissa. Hiljainen Maa might be the best choice and it would be a perfect winter hit. I think it's the kind of song which would give Indica new fans. And I hope they'll make this time a video for each single. Kadonnut puutarha was quite badly promoted as videos for Noita and Ulkona were not filmed. Maybe record company had not much interest as the sales was quite dissappointing, I suppose.

DrDress
Posted 06 November 2008 - 22:14

Laba, on 6.11.2008, 18:07, said:
Maybe releasing another single (preferably a proper single with B-sides and stuff) would boost up the sales of Valoissa. Hiljainen Maa might be the best choice and it would be a perfect winter hit. I think it's the kind of song which would give Indica new fans.

That's really good point. I hope they do that

Wizzu
Posted 06 November 2008 - 23:46

A third single from the album is rather likely, I think. But I don't think it will be a slow song. First, Indica have never done really well with ballads even when they have been released as singles (ok, only Vettä vasten from the first album, but...). Valoissa is the first one which made some marks, but even that is not really a ballad. But talking about Valoissa, this is the second point, I think after that the next one will be a faster piece. I'd probably put my money on 10h myöhässä, it has a chance of being a similar hit to Pidä kädestä.

As for the format, I doubt there will be anything in the stores. And a video is pretty unlikely too, most bands get only a single video per album (if that). Indica cheated and did a second video for basically no cost.

nightcat114
Posted 07 November 2008 - 00:24

Wizzu, on 6.11.2008, 23:46, said:
As for the format, I doubt there will be anything in the stores. And a video is pretty unlikely too, most bands get only a single video per album (if that). Indica cheated and did a second video for basically no cost.

That's interesting. Most bands not being Nightwish, who gets however may they want.

They should do another video of one of their songs, in my opinion.

swanheart
Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:26

Wizzu, on 6.11.2008, 23:46, said:
A third single from the album is rather likely, I think. But I don't think it will be a slow song. First, Indica have never done really well with ballads even when they have been released as singles (ok, only Vettä vasten from the first album, but...). Valoissa is the first one which made some marks, but even that is not really a ballad. But talking about Valoissa, this is the second point, I think after that the next one will be a faster piece. I'd probably put my money on 10h myöhässä, it has a chance of being a similar hit to Pidä kädestä.

oh God if they did a vide for Hiljainen Maa or Hämärää I'd cum

Wizzu
Posted 07 November 2008 - 16:58

nightcat114, on 7.11.2008, 00:24, said:
Thats interesting. Most bands not being Nightwish, who gets however may they want.

They should do another video of one of their songs, in my opinion.

I'm not sure but I think Nightwish use their own money to make the videos, so no surprise there. But yes, even if they don't.

It comes down to money, it's the record company usually who hands out the funds to make a video, as a marketing initiative for the album. So if the record company thinks that there will be more sales to compensate for the cost, then yes there can be a video. Most bands don't have that kind of money of their own...

DrDress
Posted 07 November 2008 - 18:16

swanheart, on 7.11.2008, 10:26, said:
oh God if they did a vide for Hiljainen Maa or Hämärää I'd cum

So how can they not make it now

Kold
Posted 07 November 2008 - 18:27

ha ha

swanheart
Posted 07 November 2008 - 21:56

DrDress, on 7.11.2008, 18:16, said:
So how can they not make it now

swanheart
Posted 09 November 2008 - 14:36

Anyway, they may do more videos or not, but they should definately release a new single quickly, or the album will keep on descending in the charts. Maybe a fast song like 10 H Myöhässä or Sanoja, or they could take a risk and try with Hiljainen Maa, which is a very wintry song.

I just can't believe this album isn't a massive hit in Finland, it's pure gold! I'd understand it if they had released it here in Spain, where musical taste is completely different...but I find Valoissa a quite "Finnish album", so to speak...

Laba
Posted 09 November 2008 - 20:27

Just a wet dream... They could release some track from Valoissa and Kersantti Karoliina as a double-A-side single and put the rarities Odotan, Unten maa and Nuorallatanssija as B-sides. But won't happen, stupid iTunes has already nearly killed CD-singles.

Kold
Posted 09 November 2008 - 20:53

seems like there is a lot of wet dreams out there :-P But i agree on everything you are saying, Laba. But as you also mentioned iTunes killed CD-singles :-D it could be a good idea for a bonus disk on a future album, as a limited edition

doctor
Posted 09 November 2008 - 21:00

Pitty for indica
Such great music and nobody buy the cd.
As i said before they have to get out from Finland if they want to survive otherwise no more cd s. I have the feeling that we are running of time this is the reason i have to se as many shows as possible

swanheart
Posted 09 November 2008 - 21:18

doctor, on 9.11.2008, 21:00, said:
Pitty for indica
Such great music and nobody buy the cd.
As i said before they have to get out from Finland if they want to survive otherwise no more cd s. I have the feeling that we are running of time this is the reason i have to se as many shows as possible

I honestly can't believe they aren't more succesful. I mean, they're what magic would be if it could be represented with music!

doctor
Posted 09 November 2008 - 21:25

i totally agree but this is finland ( little country )and they do not have the economic power to make a big promotion tur abroad..

arij
Posted 09 November 2008 - 21:41

You must also remember Christmas is near and I belive they will come back to charts because they have many fans under 15 and I think it woud be a nice christmas present to get Valoissa.

swanheart
Posted 09 November 2008 - 22:24

arij, on 9.11.2008, 21:41, said:
You must also remember Christmas is near and I belive they will come back to charts because they have many fans under 15 and I think it woud be a nice christmas present to get Valoissa.

I suppose your comment is positive, but anyway

Kold
Posted 09 November 2008 - 22:34

I almost forgot chrismas, actually a good point :-D But remember the tour with Nightwish in the new year, that will maybe also help with their Popularity, or at least give people a change to hear them.

swanheart
Posted 09 November 2008 - 23:09

Kold, on 9.11.2008, 22:34, said:
I almost forgot chrismas, actually a good point :-D But remember the tour with Nightwish in the new year, that will maybe also help with their Popularity, or at least give people a change to hear them.

they're gonna go on tour with Nightwish again??

Kold
Posted 09 November 2008 - 23:18

if you trust Nightwish's official site, you can find link to some tickets with Indica as support

like this:
http://www.livenatio.../eventId/335672 DEAD LINK

arij
Posted 10 November 2008 - 00:13

I discussed with Sirkku in Kouvola about this tour and she said that she knows as match as I do .But when looked her into the yes I understood that she could not tell the whole truth.

Wizzu
Posted 10 November 2008 - 00:13

Laba, on 9.11.2008, 20:27, said:
Just a wet dream... They could release some track from Valoissa and Kersantti Karoliina as a double-A-side single and put the rarities Odotan, Unten maa and Nuorallatanssija as B-sides. But won't happen, stupid iTunes has already nearly killed CD-singles.

You know, all those songs have already been released. Odotan and Unten maa were Ikuinen virta online-extras, and Nuorallatanssija was a Vuorien taa b-side. So I don't think songs are (basically) ever released twice except then on compilations etc. Kersantti Karoliina is part of that Voice-album so the promotion for that is totally in the hands of Voice (etc.) -- ok, it's also released by SonyBMG, but still... I agree in theory it would make for a nice b-side for an Indica single, but that assumes there's a commercially released single, which doesn't seem too likely to happen (as you say). So yeah, pretty much a dream, that.

The singles sales have never been that big in Finland and have been going downhill for 10 years, so I don't think it's entirely fair to blame iTunes (only). It might've given the killing blow, though..

swanheart, on 9.11.2008, 22:24, said:
I suppose your comment is positive, but anyway

Well, at least when it comes to the first two albums, they had pretty strong Christmas sales. The common thinking is that this was because these albums were bought to kids as presents, though for all we really know it could be for retired seniors. It would be nice if they would get some good Christmas-time publicity, but they've already been quite busy with promotional things for the past two months, so maybe that helps. And today they appeared on the very much kid-oriented tv program Kids Top 20, the broadcast time of sunday morning at 9am should tell you something about who it's targeted for.

arij
Posted 10 November 2008 - 00:37

though for all we really know it could be for retired seniors.

Off course we know that Indica is not children's music but I ment that fans under twenty don't have much own money respectevily to seniors so there parents will pay those records and because christmas is near they will postpone there investments. My wild gues is that they will rise up inside 20 on albumlist.

Laba
Posted 10 November 2008 - 00:40

Yeah, I know they are released and I actually have Vuorien taa single and just a couple of minutes ago got the two others as well. But it would be nice if Odotan and Unten maa would be released on CD as well. I think they could same as Nightwish when released most of their rarities on Bless The Child-single.

arij
Posted 10 November 2008 - 00:51

I am hopefull that they some day do additional acoustic gig that includes Nuorallatanssija, Unten maa etc; and all favorite emotional songs

Wizzu
Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:05

arij, on 10.11.2008, 00:51, said:
I am hopefull that they some day do additional acoustic gig that includes Nuorallatanssija,Unten maa etc; and all favorite emotional songs

Well, in that Vertigo interview, they mentioned that planned concert with all the rarities for "fans only" at Semifinal... It might happen, though with musicians, one never knows, there's always more ideas than things which really end up happening.

arij
Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:47

Wizzu, on 10.11.2008, 01:05, said:
Well, in that Vertigo interview, they mentioned that planned concert with all the rarities for "fans only" at Semifinal... It might happen, though with musicians, one never knows, there's always more ideas than things which really end up happening.

Sirkku told me that they had planned acoustic gig before but it was cancelled for some reason

canuck
Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:58

I'm doing my part in Canada. I've already turned a couple of people on to their music. One fan at a time.

Wizzu
Posted 23 January 2009 - 21:41

Jaska pointed this out, apparently Indica sold just over 10000 copies of Valoissa last year, being the 57th most sold Finnish album. (And the list includes many albums which were released before 2008, so if you were to count only 2008 releases the position would be much better -- unfortunately that info is not available, you'd have to check the list by hand.) The gold sales is 15000, but the majority of the sales usually happens in the few weeks and months after the release, so it's hard to say if or when the album will reach that. Still fairly well done.

The list is here: http://www.ifpi.fi/tilastot/myydyimmat/2008

(For you Nightwish fans, Dark Passion Play sold over 15000 copies, i.e. the gold amount, but that was in year 2008 alone -- the total sales from 2007 and 2008 is a staggering 125000 copies...)

Laba
Posted 23 January 2009 - 22:21

That is one depressing list. I own three of those records and there's maybe about five others I could somehow consider to buy.

swanheart
Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:35

Then, they've sold more than with Kadonnut Puutarha??

Wizzu
Posted 25 January 2009 - 15:08

swanheart, on 25.1.2009, 02:35, said:
Then, they've sold more than with Kadonnut Puutarha??

I haven't seen any sales figures for KP, but I'd say it's pretty likely.

swanheart
Posted 25 January 2009 - 17:35

nice!

Sehnsucht
Posted 07 July 2010 - 00:25

Tuomas Holopainen helped them a lot. They are becoming famous everywhere after the tour with Nightwish

HuubIndica
Posted 14 July 2010 - 20:39

I'm from the Netherlands, and I'm learn the music of Indica from Nuclear Blast.
They have give me the promo cd of Islands of Light as a gift with my last order.

People what I know don't like Indica, but that I don't care.

"Dark art is not a devil thing, it's quite the opposite, it's a God thing. You truly find God on sadness, not on happiness. My darkest arts, my darkest thoughts are from heaven"
@ Nathalia Suellen (Lady Symphonia)

My youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Severus479

PostPosted: Tue 12. Mar 2013, 14:01 
Archivist
Archivist

As I remember, Wizzu wrote somewhere that there were sold nearly 50, 000 copies of A Way Away (now probably more?), so it is better than Valoissa (10, 000)

"Dark art is not a devil thing, it's quite the opposite, it's a God thing. You truly find God on sadness, not on happiness. My darkest arts, my darkest thoughts are from heaven"

PostPosted: Wed 13. Mar 2013, 02:16 
Totally Bananas
Totally Bananas

Severus wrote:
As I remember, Wizzu wrote somewhere that there were sold nearly 50, 000 copies of A Way Away (now probably more?), so it is better than Valoissa (10, 000)

I think that I also saw that info somewhere (probably in that post from Wizzu) and it was around 40000 or 50000 copies, but it was/is worldwide number, so I don't know how many were sold in Finland (maybe that number was mentioned too, but I don't remember).

Edit: I checked the link/list that Wizzu gave: http://www.ifpi.fi/tilastot/myydyimmat/ ... et/albumit where Indica was on 57th position in 2008 and switched to the years 2010 and 2011 (2+1 clicks on Vuosi on the right) and Indica is not on the list(s) so (in Finland) Indica (NB) sold less than 10000 of AWA copies in album release year (2010.). And since Valoissa was released in September (2008; 10 012) and A way Away in June (2010; less than 10000) I doubt that AWA ever surpassed Valoissa (in Finland).

PostPosted: Wed 13. Mar 2013, 13:26 
Archivist
Archivist

lilly wrote:
Severus wrote:

I think that I also saw that info somewhere (probably in that post from Wizzu) and it was around 40000 or 50000 copies, but it was/is worldwide number, so I don't know how many were sold in Finland (maybe that number was mentioned too, but I don't remember).

Edit: I checked the link/list that Wizzu gave: http://www.ifpi.fi/tilastot/myydyimmat/ ... et/albumit where Indica was on 57th position in 2008 and switched to the years 2010 and 2011 (2+1 clicks on Vuosi on the right) and Indica is not on the list(s) so (in Finland) Indica (NB) sold less than 10000 of AWA copies in album release year (2010.). And since Valoissa was released in September (2008; 10 012) and A way Away in June (2010; less than 10000) I doubt that AWA ever surpassed Valoissa (in Finland).

yes, I remember that Wizzu mentioned that AWA was less than 10, 000 in Finland and it was nearly 50, 000 worldwide, so that means that more 80 per cent of sales were outside Finland. That also means that changing Finnish for English language and orientating on European audience was right decision (from the point of view of sales). I think in future it is better for them to orientate on the world audience, not only European audience, cause they have fans are all around the world, not only in Europe.

PostPosted: Thu 14. Mar 2013, 10:07 

lilly wrote:

Interesting list. I haven't see Kadonnut Puutarha and A Way Away which means that they're sales were worse than 10,000. I hope that the next album will get better position.

http://www.jonsu-indicaband.blogspot.com - 1st Polish blog about INDICA/ 1. Polski blog o zespole INDICA
http://jonsuindicaoutfits.webs.com/ - The only fansite about Jonsu's outfits!/ Jedyna strona internetowa na temat strojów Jonsu!

PostPosted: Thu 14. Mar 2013, 10:57 
Scholar Indican
Scholar Indican

Let's assume that IFPI is correct (well, they should be). The list of gold/platinum record sales for Indica (http://ifpi.fi/tilastot/kultalevyt/haku?q=Indica) tells us that only the 2 first albums have exceeded the threshold for gold record sales. Since the threshold for Finnish albums was brought down at the start of 2010 (15k -> 10k) and the new threshold only goes for albums released after that, we cannot say that KP sold <10k overall, although that's probably the case. We can say with certainty that AWA never exceeded 10k or the sales of Valoissa, though.

These statistics make me :(.

PostPosted: Fri 22. Mar 2013, 09:13 

Nico wrote:
Let's assume that IFPI is correct (well, they should be). The list of gold/platinum record sales for Indica (http://ifpi.fi/tilastot/kultalevyt/haku?q=Indica) tells us that only the 2 first albums have exceeded the threshold for gold record sales. Since the threshold for Finnish albums was brought down at the start of 2010 (15k -> 10k) and the new threshold only goes for albums released after that, we cannot say that KP sold <10k overall, although that's probably the case. We can say with certainty that AWA never exceeded 10k or the sales of Valoissa, though.

These statistics make me :(.

Sad, but true. Indica's music is specific and they're not so popular as for example Nightwish.

http://www.jonsu-indicaband.blogspot.com - 1st Polish blog about INDICA/ 1. Polski blog o zespole INDICA
http://jonsuindicaoutfits.webs.com/ - The only fansite about Jonsu's outfits!/ Jedyna strona internetowa na temat strojów Jonsu!

PostPosted: Tue 26. Mar 2013, 04:04 
Administrator / Watchlord
Administrator / Watchlord

I always assumed they were less popular in Finland, so I think switching to English was the best idea for more sales (or maybe the only option Indica had.)

This might sound totally selfish, and it probably is...
Yes, Indica is an unpopular band, not because they are bad, but their music is so specific. It seems like Jonsu doesn't care what you think or what makes them money, she writes what she wants and what she feels. Therefore it may only appeal to the select few that that feel the same way. There are a very few songs, that honestly, are kinda...um...not my taste musically speaking, but I can see what's going on and I still connect to them more that just average every day music.

Going to English was an option that would expose more people to their music, and make them more money without compromising the effect I mentioned above. So, as selfish as it may sound, I hope they don't get to popular. I wish the girls success in everything they do, but I am afraid that if a band gets to popular they may become like the horrible monstrosities that populate American music.
In my country, when a musician gets too popular, its like they sell their soul, they become the tool of the recording industry, they don't write their own songs, they are forced to conform to what the labels think the people want, they are given too much wealth before they are mature enough to handle it, they become celebrities instead of artists, they are swamped by paparazzi, are forced to make over sexualized music videos, they lose touch with the fans, and finally...its like the person dies and only the celebrity zombie is left to die from drugs, scandals, etc.

I want Indica to be happy and successful, but I feel they should stay "our little secret".

We need to keep the Johanna Salomaa (and the rest of the band) that talks to, takes pictures with, and hugs the fans. That writes every song from the heart. That is not afraid to sing "children's music" or not make sense at all to most people, but connect with a minority.

If they get tens of millions of fans, starts auto-tuning and lip-syncing to music 8 other people wrote, starts making sexual music videos because they sell, Indica will no longer be Indica, or my favorite band. If this happens the person who is Johanna Salomaa will become the soulless celebrity that is "Jonsu" 24/7, and is a puppet to the record labels. Although I wish the girls success, I would rather see them split and go on with their lives then become that horrible monster like so many Americans. :cry:

(Deviantart)
Looking for something? Check out the Directory

PostPosted: Fri 29. Mar 2013, 23:23 
Totally Bananas
Totally Bananas

LOL, one of my first posts on the old Indica forum is preserved in the starting post. I think I still mostly agree with it. I had forgotten how I found Indica, so it was a nice reminder.

So Valoissa album hasn't sold gold in Finland? I thought it had... Oh well.

PostPosted: Mon 26. Aug 2013, 12:31 
Archivist
Archivist

thanx much to Telajel for the link!

so, A Way Away is platinum?
http://www.goldengatemanagement.com/fil ... actual.pdf

PostPosted: Wed 23. Oct 2013, 15:46 
Teen Indican
Teen Indican

I can confirm, that indica is sadly considered kind of "children's music" in Finland. I actually remember being 10, and crazy about ikuinen virta, even though I didn't know any other indica song. Eventually I moved on to the next "big thing", and for a while almost forgot their existance. I'm glad, that it didn't happen.
But anyways. Most people in Finland know ikuinen virta, and maybe some other songs, but they don't really have such a big popularity in here. There is that funny klishee, that when a Finnish band gains popularity outside of Finland, the Finnish fanbase grows smaller, but they get much more fame from their new fans. So that's why I find it good, that they started to sing in English.

PostPosted: Sat 8. Feb 2014, 00:59 
Archivist
Archivist

http://finnishcharts.com/showitem.asp?i ... ario&cat=a

Quote:
INDICA IN FINNISH CHARTS

Singles

Title Entry Peak weeks

Scarlett
15/2004 14 5
Ikuinen virta
37/2004 8 8
Vuorien taa
43/2005 5 3

Albums

Title Entry Peak weeks

Ikuinen virta
34/2004 4 30
Tuuliset tienoot
44/2005 12 27
Kadonnut puutarha
13/2007 8 6
Valoissa
39/2008 3 6
A Way Away
23/2010 8 6
Akvaario
05/2014 3 1

and Shine 99 on German charts

PostPosted: Mon 17. Feb 2014, 12:38 
True Indican
True Indican

I made a list that shows how Indica's albums have ranked on the Official Finnish Albums Chart. It shows clearly how much more popular Indica was in the beginning of their career.

Ikuinen Virta remained on the chart for 30 weeks and Tuuliset Tienoot was there for 27 weeks. Kadonnut Puutarha, Valoissa and A Way Away remained on the chart for 6 weeks. Based on the first three weeks, Akvaario's sales don't look very promising.

EDIT: On the fourth week Akvaario was 50th and then it dropped from Top 50.

Code:
Ikuinen Virta   Tuuliset Tienoot   Kadonnut Puutarha   Valoissa   A Way Away   Akvaario
18              18                 8                   3          8            3
10              16                 26                  8          20           16
10              24                 11                  12         30           34
14              20                 19                  16         42           50
9               22                 34                  22         42   
11              19                 37                  34         41   
14              17            
17              18            
16              23            
19              28            
19              23            
21              31            
33              32            
36              21            
28              13            
20              15